cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Piggybacking on Family Mortgage to Increase Fico Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Piggybacking on Family Mortgage to Increase Fico Score?

I am familiar with the method of piggybacking on credit lines to increase one's FICO. Is there a similar method in piggybacking on mortgages? I really have no idea if this is a stupid question or not.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Piggybacking on Family Mortgage to Increase Fico Score?

Unlike CCs and the AU option, you would have to refi the mortgage into your name in order for it to report.

Message 2 of 29
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I second what ilecs says and would point out that its not wise to piggyback on a mortgage because if will severely affect your own dti when it comes to buying a place. You might be able to piggyback on a home equity loan or line of credit but again I'm not sure if this would be feasible or smart. Best to only piggyback on loans if you 1) are prepared to pay the loan or payment if the primary account holder fails to pay and 2) deal with negative consequences of someone else's actions such as a missed payment or high utilization.... granted authorized User accounts are easy to remove; but if the account is a joint account then there is no way of getting off the hook if things go south with the account.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the response.

could it be refinanced for the exact same mortgage with the same lender with my name added as someone responsible but not an owner? 

would doing this given my lessor credit rating hurt the owners superior credit rating?

what is the AU option?

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

my parents would be the ones with the mortgage. they are extremely prudent people, never made a late payment in their lives. they probably would never allow me to get in, but if they did....

Message 5 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the response.

could it be refinanced for the exact same mortgage with the same lender with my name added as someone responsible but not an owner? 

would doing this given my lessor credit rating hurt the owners superior credit rating?

what is the AU option?

Yes, but they'd still run your credit, study your CRs, factor in your income and DTI, and everything else that lenders look at when applying for a mortgage.

Your and their credit rating would be affected because a new mortgage would be added. Your score could take a hit depending on the impact to AAoA, new credit ding, etc. Same for them.

AU = authorized user. You can be added to a CC that somebody else owns without any impact to their credit, though can help or hurt yours.

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

isn't there a simpler option for changing, or editing the mortage so that it includes another person, myself, without calling the thing an entirely new loan ("refinance')? 

Message 7 of 29
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

An AU is an authorized User of a credit card account. Some credit card accounts report the payment status of the account to the authorized users credit file. In this way the autborized User can benefit from the credit history of the account especially where the history is long and clean. My husband is an AU on my American express; chase; and discover credit card accounts... as well as a joint account holder for our new vehicle loan. In this way he is piggybacking from the old history and also he contributes to spending for earning rewards. Mortgages cost thousands to refinance. Its a better idea to use those thousands to open a high limit secured card or loan in your own name to build individual payment history.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have 21,000 in revolving credit cards. 3,500 debt on one card, soon to be deleted so i have no revolving debt. 

my installment debt is pretty terrible: 44,000 total credit line for student loans, 4,000 paid off. 

my current score is 677 (equifax).

i could become an AU to one of my father's credit cards and raise my score more.

i hope to pay off 14,000 in debt on my installment accounts by the end of this month to bring my installment utilization to 65 used/35% unused credit. 

or what do you advise, if you will please? i need to get my FICO up to 750 asap so that i can start a lease/sublease business in a very competitive market. 

Message 9 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

isn't there a simpler option for changing, or editing the mortage so that it includes another person, myself, without calling the thing an entirely new loan ("refinance')? 

Impossible for any loan. It has to be a new one with your credit, income, etc. factored in.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.