cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pizza's 15 month long Grand Finale.

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pizza's 15 month long Grand Finally.

Assuming you didn't start with just one or two cards, I don't think adding more cards will help. If I am wrong, let me know (let's say 20 points above your break even mark).

I read here or elsewhere a post by a woman who had scores into the 800's (810+). She only had 2 CCs. One was a revolving CC and the other a Target card. I think her CL for Target was $200 and the revolving $500. Her post totally debunked my thought process then. I thought you had to have several cards and I thought you had to have higher limits. But in her case she was in her 60s, carried a long mortgage, and had those CCs for quite some time.
Message 11 of 105
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:

Assuming you didn't start with just one or two cards, I don't think adding more cards will help. If I am wrong, let me know (let's say 20 points above your break even mark).

I read here or elsewhere a post by a woman who had scores into the 800's (810+). She only had 2 CCs. One was a revolving CC and the other a Target card. I think her CL for Target was $200 and the revolving $500. Her post totally debunked my thought process then. I thought you had to have several cards and I thought you had to have higher limits. But in her case she was in her 60s, carried a long mortgage, and had those CCs for quite some time.

She's one of those classic, old-school High Achievers! That's how it used to work, before CC's started issuing rewards for umpty-diddle different types of purchases, and people started using them much, much more.

pizza, congrats, but I'm still convinced that your mug shot is on the walls of every break room in every bank and card issuer in the nation! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 105
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:
Just reached the break even mark. All lost points are completely regained. I don't expect another score change for 2-4 months. A few more months to get results of how this is starting to work out. I don't know if it helped yet but I do know it didn't hurt.

Remind me - what was the object of this exercise?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 13 of 105
msensa
Contributor

I am just completely confused as to the method of your madness!  Why did you do this, what do you mean really by buckets?  (groups of people with same credit???  HuH?)

What was the rhyme and reason for all of this, and what was it supposed to accomplish?

Just bored and reading and wanted to know...
I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 14 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, pizza, you had scores in the 800s and you decided to muck with that because....??

That's the part I really don't get. Or were you just bored? Smiley Wink
Message 15 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:
Remind me - what was the object of this exercise?

I exhausted all options to further increase scores. My theory was that I was no longer improving because my credit went static. I chanced it by deleting/removing(not closing) some accounts and replacing them with new ones. This was the new bucket. My other theory was if you know an action was positive and FICO punished you severely for it maybe they are trying to scare you off from doing it. (but then again it might just be negative too) Well I got a bit scared because my punishment lasted many months. The rest I am doing on feel as payment activity goes. I am playing around using the new credit in ways I normally would not to keep my actions from being consistent. I don't want to look like I have my credit habits fixed yet. This was my theory anyway. I also have some errors reporting which could be lowering my scores too. But so far it does look like I have more points to gain only because I have more to change. Where as before I completely ran out of options except for age. Therefore my score was capped. I didn't want to tell people to do this because during the process maybe up to a year a persons credit will look pretty bad and almost certainly results in only denials, credit limit decreases and rate hikes. But the long term result might be promising. I'm only looking for a few more points so most people would laugh at all the effort I put in for the result. But it turned in to a personal challenge not credit for me. It just takes so long to know if something works. This will answer a question I had for many years. What If I Did This..? Now I will know. I am only at break even, but I am not done so I think there is more room to improve in this new situation. Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

pizza, what is your control case?

In any long experiment, you need to compare the test case on which the variables are acting against one on which they are not. Think of medical trials with real vs placebo groupings.
Message 17 of 105
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

watchnerd wrote:
pizza, what is your control case?

In any long experiment, you need to compare the test case on which the variables are acting against one on which they are not. Think of medical trials with real vs placebo groupings.

Ideally it should be blinded as well - that is the gold standard clinical trial  Smiley Very Happy
Message 18 of 105
cobra19
Valued Contributor

why do you believe some buckets score better than others? Has experimenting led you to this belief?

IMO, at the 800 mark there isn't much you can do to increase your score - other than to let your accounts age. There is just so many things you can do to increase a score. At 800, you've done them all.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 19 of 105
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

cobra19 wrote:

IMO, at the 800 mark there isn't much you can do to increase your score - other than to let your accounts age. There is just so many things you can do to increase a score. At 800, you've done them all.

Agreed.
Message 20 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.