Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pizza's 15 month long Grand Finale.

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Pizza's 15 month long Grand Finale.

pizza I have heard some people say that FICO will eventually deduct points (probably not many) if you haven't opened an account in a looong time. I would imagine the high scorers with very long history and just insanely high average age get worked between 810-850 depending upon when/if they open that badly needed new account for FICO.
Message 71 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would believe that is true.

In some cases I suspect that there are ways around it in some rare situations that are even more rarely available. Mostly everyone will need to apply for new credit to keep their scores up after so much time. This is something I had a hard time testing.

The scenario I was thinking about would be someone with 3+ 30-mortgages 25 years old each with old credit cards. They could easily have an avg age of 25+ years. Since all mortgages would be open and CCs being used I wonder if they would need new credit? But this is another rare situation to have multiple very old mortgages with no other new activity.

My first thought about this had to do just with avg age being too old. What if an avg age of 25 years was just bad? But I found stronger things to support that more of anything usually isn't bad just not counted.

This is something I wanted to test but never found a profile old enough to play with. Right now I think mostly it applies to things falling off the CRs or accounts that went dormant. I definitely see where going too long with out new credit will lower the score but exactly how long and the reason why I haven't figured out yet.

I have personally gained points for using a long unused dormant account. SW reported it as new activity and score gain. This could also be another way around it. Or I got dinged for allowing the account go dormant and I only gained the points back?

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 08-07-2008 08:54 PM
Message 72 of 105
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Our accountant is 85. His Scores are all over 830. He has 3 open credit cards that's it. His Amex is from 1958.
Message 73 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please understand before I can call this fact I need to pull off a score over 845. So for now it is all theory based on a little bit of proof that fits perfectly in to this puzzle.

I made a very big mistake that now will probably prevent me from being able to hit 850. This may only affect my bucket.

I have a theory and I have proof. The proof is that one of my actions gain special points. But then I reversed it to be sure it was my action. Here was my mistake because I thought I could just redo the action but my lender says no can do. The important thing is that I believe I have identified the missing link to break 840s.

I believe there are extra points for people that have made mistakes and changed their ways. But it gets way more complicated than that. For this specific point gain you would have to filter out the stuff that lowers your score and keep the stuff that raises your score, then it has to be reported just right. And us as consumers don't really have any control to make it report this way. Or do we? wait.. I think I just found a way to make this happen again! Whohoo! Smiley Happy (new hope) This is super risky. Before I just got lucky by way of chance but now I'm going to take a real risk to try and produce the same action intentionally. I could loose some major points if it backfires.

I'm pretty sure my score would have been at least 845 but more likely 847. How I came up with the number of 845-847. I had for example a score of 800 at the time. This isolated action gained X amount of points. Then I reversed it and lost exactly X amount of points. There was the control. So now my score is high. If you take my current score and add exactly X amount of points you get 845-847. But theory because I don't know if the points gained would combine with other actions later canceling out the score gain. I need to prove this now so it's not theory.

Stay tuned. This action needs to be handled very delicately. So yes, I did have the points (when my score was lower due to UTL and Inqs so I never saw the 845-847). This might take some time because I have to wait monthly for things to update before I can try another. One try per month. Too much of a good thing in this case can also lower the score.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 09-01-2008 02:15 PM
Message 74 of 105
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

pizza, if you ever solve the riddle and get bored and wander off, a great deal of fascination will go out of my life! Smiley Happy I've never actually known a mad scientist before.

Good luck on the next move, whatever it is. (I was lost long ago.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 75 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pizza's 15 month long Grand Finally.

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@cobra19 wrote:
IMO, at the 800 mark there isn't much you can do to increase your score - other than to let your accounts age. There is just so many things you can do to increase a score. At 800, you've done them all.

Agreed.

For the record: more proof that this viewpoint is incorrect, imho ... and that it can be changed very quickly and very easily:
(please note the following example is for my current bucket and from EQ):

I've been sitting at 816 for awhile and recently opened a new cc account (previously: no new accts, no inqs, util jumping between 1 & 2%, 2 of 7 ccs with balances). Lost 10 points. On my cr, two of the four negative reason codes were: "You have a relatively high number of accounts with balances" and "You have too many bank/national revolving accounts with balances being reported".

So then, within 10 days, I only reported 1 balance on my CCs (out of 7 open): and gained 8 points (out of only 44 possible points to 850; a 18+% gain, equivalent to ~24points at 720 for a very simple action). Those two reason codes are now gone.

eta: Cheers to mad scientists! Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by JayToo on 09-01-2008 10:32 AM
Message 76 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next action gained more points. Cool. Smiley Wink

But I think my score will be over 850. Is that possible? I had a theory that there were multiple ways to hit 850, so in theory if all these things were done at the same time the points would all add beyond 850 and just stop reporting at 850. I may actually have this answer in the next coming months.

At least now if I add up all my theoretical points I would now have 850+. All I have to do is see if all points will add up together or if some of them cancel each other out. We know that FICO will reward for action A but not reward for action A if action B is present but sometimes it will add both A+B together. So time to put this theory to a real test and see if 850 really exists. I have all parts needed to hit 850 if my calculations are correct and if I remained in the same bucket. That's the last part that I'm worried about is a bucket change. I think the next bucket drops -10 points. I'm doing a bucket check next month to see if it changed.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 09-06-2008 01:33 PM
Message 77 of 105
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Kinda think that a ceiling is a ceiling.

You'll need to screenshot your FICO scores and add them to your siggy!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 78 of 105
cat-like-stealth
Valued Member

This whole experiment is genius. So Pizza, are you trying to hit 850 with all of the Big Three? Or are you targeting a specific one.
Message 79 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have wondered the same thing- as some of my actions cause one CRA to increase and others to do nothing.

cat-like-stealth wrote:
This whole experiment is genius. So Pizza, are you trying to hit 850 with all of the Big Three? Or are you targeting a specific one.

Message 80 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.