Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Advise

I had a department store card about eleven years ago, needless to say i didn't pay it off (or I wouldn't have this problem now). Up until a few months ago I haven't been really concerned about my credit and anything that was negative have now been erased. I started trying to establish credit and have gotten two credit cards now within the last few months. So with this new problem arising it is becoming very stressful.
My question or problem is I received a letter from my bank stating they have received a legal process brought against me from a law firm and they were sending me this letter to protect my interest. The letter states the law firm name, address and the date a judgment was issued against me for this account which was in 2001. They were trying to get the bank to set aside funds from my account, which i didn't have funds in the account because i was in the process of closing that account (I moved the bank is no longer in my area). I have never received any notices from this law firm or about having a judgment against me on this account. Even after I've received the letter from the bank this law firm still hasn't contacted me. My question is can they do this? And should I contact them and try to get this account paid off?

thanks for any help or assitance any can provide.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FICOfit
Contributor

Re: Please Advise

Sounds fishy.  Sounds like a CA posing as a law firm.  What is the SOL for your state?  My guess is that you are beyond it and if you never received a proper summons and judgement in COURT, which I assume you would know if you did.  I'm guessing a CA bought the old account and is trying devious (and illegal) methods to get the money out of you.

There are others on here that know better than me though.

Message Edited by argonne on 01-25-2008 07:10 AM
05/19/08 TU: 703 EQ:717 EX:710

05/08 TU:660 EQ:710 EX:621
04/08 TU:654 EQ:671 EX:618
3/08 TU:608 EQ:624 EX:623
11/07 TU:564 EQ:555 EX: 560
Goal: 700 club by Dec 2008. Can it be done? Heck yeah!! It's done, let's keep it that way!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.