cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me!! Over $20,000 In DEPT!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help Me!! Over $20,000 In DEPT!!!!

Hi, I need major help, I'm in so much dept!!!

Chase                                    $3,286.33                                

Capitol One                            $1,655.99  

GM/ HSBC                             $3,879.26                                

WaMu                                    $3,819.77          
State/ Child Support                $7,100.00

Grand Total:   $19,741.35 

I really don't know what to do anymore I'm out of work, feel like a dead beat, and so scared right now.

Its not like I don't want to pay them, and I've been looking day and night for a job and a way to pay but I don't know what to do.

Most of the credit card company's just recently sent me letters stating if I don't depute the money amount owed their going to make a judgment against me. I have know idea how to do that or what to say in the letter to them.

I have no money at all so i don't know if i can even afford to file for bankruptcy.

I only own a car that was given to me, can they take that? Its only a 98 grand prix i don't think it worth much. if they take that I don't know what I'll do as for getting to a job... /cry

Please someone help me...

Thanks,

Jason

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Please Help Me!! Over $20,000 In DEPT!!!!

I am really sorry to hear your situation and I know times are tough. I wish I knew how to make it better since even I have suffered. I have been blessed to just barely manage but its harder. I wish I could provide more than just consolation but I figured its better than being indifferent. Good luck.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

very sad to to hear about your problems but think of it this way you're alive. Not sure if it's worth filing BK for $13K "child support excluded". The CC companies will probably get judgments against you and can garnish your wages when you get a job, freeze bank accounts and property. The old clunker is more than likely safe though. Since you have no job now I wouldn't stress it just try to keep yourself up and find a job as soon as you can then file BK to get rid of the cc debt/judgments, wage garnish, bank account freeze "except for child support"  and make payment arrangements on the child support and just move on and try to rebuild.
Message 3 of 29
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you won't take offense, but you need to get those child support arrears taken care of.  It's your responsibility to feed and clothe that child you helped create.

I wouldn't worry at all about the credit cards.  Try to scrape up enough cash and file bk. 

Find three p/t jobs...McDonalds, Server in a Restaurant, Hotel Maid, Snow Shoveller, etc....work on getting that child support paid off and do it pronto. 

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have to agree with fish about the child support and have to add that it's not fair to make the child suffer.

i feel for you and i hope you get a job but you could try delivering food for now.  my DF owns a restaurant and while he's recently had record breaking horrible weeks, his drivers don't do so bad if they are willing to hussle and work hard for it.

i delivered for him a few weekends ago and averaged $20 an hour

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the CCC can sucessfully get a judgement against you, all of your assets are fair game-even your vehicle. In some states, like Georgia, you can file BK without an attorney. Given that you are unemployed and have no income, BK seems to be your only way out. In the meanwhile, take any job you can get! Fast food restaurants are always hiring.

Byrdman, I edited this post because I meant to say that it is unlikely that the CCC will file suit. You are absolutely right that if he is successfully sued, the court will award the judgement. Thanks for catching that error. I never meant to give out faulty information. My most humble apologies.

Message Edited by tonnie39 on 01-14-2009 02:24 PM
Message 6 of 29
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Have you tried calling the CCCs and explaining the situation and trying to make a payment plan?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 29
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

tonnie39 wrote:

It is unlikely that a court will award a judgement against you given that you are unemployed. However, if the CCC can sucessfully get a judgement against you, all of your assets are fair game-even your vehicle. In some states, like Georgia, you can file BK without an attorney. Given that you are unemployed and have no income, BK seems to be your only way out. In the meanwhile, take any job you can get! Fast food restaurants are always hiring.

I can't see how that matters.  If you owe, and are sued and lose, a judgment will be issued against you.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really have to second, third and fourth the others on the child support.

Not only would it be unfair to the kids to "make them second" to the CC debt, but you'll also find that you CAN be put in jail for contempt of court for non-payment of child support.

Getting a judgment against you for the CC debt will be NOTHING compared to being in jail (worst case) or having your accounts frozen, your pay garnished, or your tax returns offset/seized.

If I had to choose between ticking off a wild, rabid pack of man-eating dog vs ticking off Unky Sam, I'd choose the wild, rabid pack of man-eating dogs. That rabid pack of dogs will have WAY more mercy than Unky Sam will.

That said, I really do feel for you and wish you the best of luck!! Smiley Sad

Please keep us posted!!
Message 9 of 29
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Go get a pizza/food delivery job and use the tips to pay to file BK. It take a little work, but you can file yourself. Then, let the child support come out of your check. This way, you are taking care of both problems, and you have the daytime to find a good job.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.