cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help made a huge mistake

tag
ced64

Please Help made a huge mistake

Hi recently i sent nco a dv letter and about two weeks letter someone called me and stated they had validated the account and i would be receiving a copying in the mail. To make a long story story I sent 200 dollars which was was payment in full with a letter . After the received the payments about 1 week letter the sent me a letter stating the account was not validated and that they were going to delete the following from my credit report and it has been closed in their office. They did do as promise and delete the account and they also sent refunded my money. I spoke to someone in their office and they said who ever i spoke with lied and the account was never validated so therefore they couldnt collect on it. I also if it helps nco does not own the account it was only assign to them with was and old medical debt that i moved and didnt know about. Have I restarted the sol even though they refunded my money and can the company that assign them to this account come back and sue me? What should I do? Also it was from 2005

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Please Help made a huge mistake

What state did the debt occur in?

What state do you live in now?

Message 2 of 12
ced64

It occur in texas and i still live there

Message 3 of 12
ced64

What does that mean if they refunded my money they said the contacted the company that they collecting for but they couldnt validate it. Or does the letter they sent me and the refund gives me proof that i dont owe them also did i restart the sol even if they sent my money back technically they never received payment if the sent it back right ?

Message 4 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

NCO did what they were supposed to do.  The contacted the OC who apparently has no prove of the debt so they removed the TL and sent your money back.

No, you did not restart the SOL.  No check was cashed.  Plus the OC can't find your account.

Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Has the OC additionally reported to the CRAs regarding your actions with them prior to the deleted collection?

Deletion of the collection reporting is separate from any reporting done by the OC.  Thus, if the OC also has reported derogs on their account with you, you may wish to also file a direct disptue with them.  If the reason for the collection deltion was lack of ability of the OC to verify, and not just a lack of their timely verification, then you may also be able to get any derogatory OC reporting deleted.  It depends on the cirumstances surrouding the debt collector's lack of recepit of response from the OC.

Message 6 of 12
ced64

no i have a great credit score the only account that was listed was from the collection agency. They did cash the money order but i received a check from nco for the money i sent them so does that make a difference.

Message 7 of 12
ced64

is it safe to deposit the check they sent me in my bank account or should i just cash it elsewhere

Message 8 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@ced64 wrote:

is it safe to deposit the check they sent me in my bank account or should i just cash it elsewhere

I think it would be OK since they have your banking info anyway because of the check you had sent. If really worried, then deposit it in a spare checking you don't use, or savings. But if they wanted to do something bad, or if they forwarded your banking info to a new CA assuming the debt was sold, then your prior checking info is out there anyway.

BTW, if I read right, did you send a check with your DV? If so, I don't recommend that for reasons such as this. In fact, never pay a debt to a CA with a check other than a cashier's check or money order. If you did that, great! Though always wait for the DV response. After they respond and you agree with the debt, then send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then you'd send a cashier's check or money order and they'll delete. Had NCO affirmed that the debt is yours, then it would show on your CR as a paid CA and that doesn't help your scores any.

Message 9 of 12
ced64

they dont have my banking info because i sent a money order for my payment and also nco deleted it and close the account the sent me a letter in writing stating so. And i checked

my credit report and was deleted 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.