Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help!!

Hello everyone,

I am having a big problem with AT&T because of a long distance charge that we do not believe to be owed for $56 dollars I believe.

Last year my husband and I were struggling to pay our bills so we were behind on most of our bills just barely managing to not have our services shut off. We received a past due notice and I've called them to make a payment. At that point we were about $187 dollars behind for three months behind and that amount also included a long distance charge of abour $56 dollars.

I tried to explain to them that our service was for $24.99 a month plus taxes and surcharges and that we were getting bills of $47 to $58 dollars every month because they included small amounts of long distance. My husband and I we both had and still have cell phones and we hardly ever used our home phone to make long distance calls. I don't know if you've ever had the opportunity to deal with ATT customer's service but they are horrible and not only that but most of the time they have reps who don't speak good english. Nobody was able to help me out to correct that error until I spoke to a supervisor and he said that I was right and to not worry about anything that it would be taken care of. He said that I needed to pay at least  $87.00 dollars out of the bill in order for us to not get our services disconnected so I gave them the $87 dollars. They of course still disconnected the service and opened a new account for us with only basic service. I was pissed because they didn't keep their promise to keep our service going and the funny thing is we were paying $24.99 for phone service with calling feautures and long distance. The basic service they switched us to was basic service with not even caller ID and they were charging us $46 bucks a month. Which obviously was double the amount we were paying before and with all the other services.

We stayed with them until march and then switched our service to comcast. In january my husband and I went to a financial counselor she helped us to set up a plan to pay everything off and we are paying all our bills on time and even have money left after everything is paid off. I've worked so hard to get to this point. During all these months I've been trying to get into an agreement with ATT. and I know I'm stubborn because I told them I was not paying them anything until the fixed the other account (long distance that we have already paid every month included in the bill)

ATT sent us to collection for the $100 bucks for the old account and I paid them what I believed to be owed and disputed the rest with a letter. that got us out of collection on that one and I was just waiting for the other bill from the basic service to come so I could pay it off and be done with ATT. Well a couple of days ago I got a letter from a collection company and I said oh good I'm going to pay them off. Well when I've talked to the rep she said that the account was already reported to my husband's credit. I told her how can this be if this is the first letter we get from you guys. I'm calling to pay you off but now I don't know what to do because this obviously change the situation. She said that I need to pay before october and that ATT will not delete it from his credit because it is a long distance account. I've explained to her that this is not long distance because for those 3 months we had basic service with not even caller ID. She said that's just what the account was showing and that it was not going to be removed but that she adviced me to pay the account to get it off collection and also to avoid more trouble with this account.

I don't know what to do... ATT is lying big time. I've called them right after I hung up with the collection and the supervisor said he was looking at the account while I explained our situation and that the charges were valid. Nobody seems to be able to help me and I'm about to pull my hair off my head.

Please help anyone?? Do I need to pay the collection to avoid the write off the lady was talking about? what does that means anyways?? I'm so freaking frustrated because ATT is lying big time and they are the big guy we are just another ant they can smash.

Please any advice would be much appreciated!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please Help!!

First, don't talk to any collection agency over the phone. Their word is not their bond. Second, pull your husbands CR from each CRA, if possible, and see if that collections from ATT is on there. CAs, by the way, can have anything deleted if they want to, even if it's a "long distance" acct.

When did you receive the letter from the collection agency and which CA was it?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your reply.

We've received the letter a couple of days ago. The letter was dated October 15,2007.  The CA is AlliedInsterstate.

I don't know what to do because I don't want this to hurt my husband's credit but that should not have been reported to my husband's credit anyways because this is the first letter we receive from the CA. Now the lady said that ATT is saying this is the second CA they place this account with but that's not true because I've been waiting for them to bills us for those 3 months of basic service so I can pay them and be done with them.

I know ATT is lying big time but how can I prove it? Should I pay the $130.42 today. The rep said I have until the end of October to pay for the amount if I don't want ATT to put it in my  husband's credit as a Write off? What does that mean? Does anyone know where I can buy a credit score for just one time? I would subscribe to myfico but I can't afford the $89 bucks right now. Specially if I have to pay the CA.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is Fico standard for $15.99? Can I buy that and access my husband's credit score right away?
Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

FICO standard shows an easy-to-read version of your credit report with the FICO score that coincides with your report. You can subscribe to Scorewatch under the monthly plan for less than $9 per month, I believe. It'll include monitoring and one or two free credit pulls for EQ with score. Or you can order each of the 3 CRs via annualcreditreport.com for FREE once a year, minus scores.

As for ATT, this forum had great info on what to do and others may dispense better advice than I could. But I would look in my report and send a DV to the CA that sent you the letter via Cert. Mail Return Receipt (CMRRR). Do it within the 30 days (i.e. now). If this collection agency or any other representing ATT is listed on the report, dispute it also with the CRA. Then, wait and see.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

keithsclaudie wrote:
What is Fico standard for $15.99? Can I buy that and access my husband's credit score right away?

Yes, it's one credit score and one credit report from Transunion, Experian or Equifax, your choice.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one question: Did AT&T send you an itemized bill showing how you got the $56 dollars in long distance charges?  I know it might not help you now but I have AT&T now (conversion from Bellsouth) and they always send us itemized bills for all of our services even though it's confusing to read. 
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No they didn't send any details about it. We've received a letter from them stating that our long distance account was past due severed. I knew that we have been billed for our long distance in every month's bill.

We were past due so it was a mess and that I admit it was our fault but... no reason for them to try to take advantage of use because of the past due.  I kept giving them money but unfortunally but then I could not keep up with our bills.

I ended pulling up my husband's credit and they didn't report the second account but they did the first one the one that I paid to the first collection company and disputed a portion of it. They sent us to collection for the disputed portion but they never did anything to prove to us that it was a valid debt so I paid off the other account right now and I'm going after the suckers (AT&T) because they reported the disputed amount.

I'm going to dispute through the CRA's and I will also add that we tried to resolve this problem numerous of time without cooperation. They are the big guy but even the biggest giant makes mistakes and they just made one but reporting the disputed amount instead of the valid charges. lol
Message 8 of 9
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

HI 
MY WIFE  USED TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM LAST YEAR  SO FINALY  A FTER SHE GET TIRED  DEALING WITH THEM  SHE DECIDE TO FILE A SMALL CLAIM LAW SUIT HERE IN SALT LAKE CITY,UTAH  .
SO WHEN SHE DID FILE A LAW SUIT  GUESS WHAT'S HAPPEND  ??  LESS THEN  FIVE DAYS  WE GET EXPRESS MAIL FROM THIER  HEAD OFFICE  ( LAW OFFICE )  IN  IL  .   SAYING THEY WANT TO TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM ,AND THEY ARE WILLING TO CLOSED THE ACCOUNT ,AND   BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH................................................................................
WHY YOU HAVE TO WASTE YOUR TIME ,AND DEAL WITH THIER STUPIED CUSTOMER SERVICE ,AND LET THEM  DESTROY  YOUR CREDIT HISTORY  ????????????????????
    GOOD LUCK
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.