tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Please help. Requirement to get a fico score

Hello

I tried to registred for myfico services and I can't sign up

It asks me to call customer service to verify my identity

So I called them and she told me besides having a credit history of 6 months

I also need to have had a social security number for more than a year?

Is that really the the case or they just say that ?

Has anyone heard or experienced a situation like that?

The reason I have a social for less than a year is because I became a new resident. I got my social in February.

Any advice would help

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please help. Requirement to get a fico score

@pat0812 wrote:

Hello

I tried to registred for myfico services and I can't sign up

It asks me to call customer service to verify my identity

So I called them and she told me besides having a credit history of 6 months

I also need to have had a social security number for more than a year?

Is that really the the case or they just say that ?

Has anyone heard or experienced a situation like that?

The reason I have a social for less than a year is because I became a new resident. I got my social in February.

Any advice would help

It's true on the credit for 6 months. Here are more details:

In order for a FICO® score to be calculated, a report must contain these minimumrequirements:

• ·          At least one account that has been open for six months or more
  • ·          At least one undisputed account that has been reported to the credit bureau with in the past six months
  • ·          No indication of deceased on the credit report (Please note: if you share an account with another person this may affect you if the other account holder is reported deceased).

I can't speak to the SSN for a year bit, though. I never heard that. I don't think it's true because your credit reports show your SSN, but don't tell you how long you had it. And I know of some on here who had to get new SSNs because of a domestic situation or extreme cases of ID theft and they were able to restore their credit right away w/ a FICO score too.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Please help. Requirement to get a fico score

The SSN requirement is bogus.  You dont need an SSN to have a credit file, or for furnishers to report to a CRA.

The CRAs prefer to have an SSN, as it is (in theory) a unique personal identifier that ensures accurate matching of reported information to the proper consumer file.

But no such statuory or regulatory requirement exists. 

Foreign nationals, for example, residing in the US who do not seek employment have no need for an SSN.

Yet they can establish credit and build a credit file.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.