cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me! CA ignored DV letter and they gave it over to a lawyer who is going to sue me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help me! CA ignored DV letter and they gave it over to a lawyer who is going to sue me!

I sent a CA a DV letter, waited the thirty days +5 for mailing and heard nothing.  Then on Saturday, I got a letter in the mail from an attorney who said they are filing a law suit if I don't pay the debt in less than a month!  What should I do?  Do I DV the lawyer?  This is a debt that is just being bounced around and the OC is three or four CA's down the food chain.  How can a lawyer sue on behalf of a CA who is collecting for another CA who is collecting for OC?  Please help I don't have much time and I really don't know what to do.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help me! CA ignored DV letter and they gave it over to a lawyer who is going to sue me!

Just thought I would add that I'm am concerned about who this account really belongs to.  I am also questioning the amount they have charged in fees ( I think they may have violated some of my state's laws.)  Right now there are at least three CA's reporting that they have this account and I don't want to pay one and then have another pop up and argue that it is theirs.  Shouldn't there be some limit to how many CA's can claim that I owe them money on the same account?
Message 2 of 7
bsteelhammer

Re: Please help me! CA ignored DV letter and they gave it over to a lawyer who is going to sue me!

There IS a limit. Only the OC and the currently authorized CA are allowed to report. Previous CA's must delete when they no longer have the account.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So does that mean I need to send a DV to everybody?  Because what happened is OC sent the account to CA#1 who then sent it to LVNV (who states at the top of the letter that they are collecting on behalf of CA#1 for OC account in the amount of $$$$.  I sent a DV to LVNV and they got it in late Feb. and never sent ANYTHING back.  Last Saturday I got a letter from an attorney who says I owe LVNV $$$$ plus annually accruing interest and that I can pay, get sued, or DV because I owe the debt to someone other than LVNV. 
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm dealing with an old tradeline that I'd really like to pay off, but I don't want to pay more than I really owe. I called the OC and they told me they had sent it to collections and I should pay the collection agency. When I got the collection notice it wasn't for the amount that I think I owe, so I DV'd the collection agency. I never heard from them again... the apparently sent the account back to the OC, who then sent it to another agency. Got a notice from Agency #2: "Your account Number 12345 with Original Creditor has been placed with us for collection." This one had an even larger wrong balance, so I DV'd agency #2. Guess what? They sent it back to the OC, who placed it with another agency. It's been three weeks since I DV'd agency #3, and haven't heard back from them. I expect in a couple more weeks I'll hear from agency #4. I've written to the OC and told them I'd really like to pay off what I owe them, but the CA's can't seem to figure out how much that balance really is, and asked them to please take the account and let me pay them directly. My point is that this "lawyer" may not have been hired by the CA to sue; he may just be yet another collector. DV him. And dispute and CAs that are showing on your report.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since LVNV dropped the ball and did not respond to my DV letter, does that let me off the hook for LVNV?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I slowed down and read the letter from CA #3 again.  IT says that CA#3 is collecting on behalf of "current creditor" LVNV for "original creditor" Lowe's.  That is the letter I DV'd  (I don't think I ever DV'd LVNV--that was before my MyFico days.  So now LVNV has sent this to an attorney/collector #4 who just sent the newest letter saying that I owe LVNV $$$$ plus annual interest.  So I need to DV attorney/collector #4?  Can I still DV LVNV even though it has been awhile since they originally obtained the account?  I think the amount is out of whack
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.