Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me understand SOL...

tag
kukumjacka
Established Member

Please help me understand SOL...

So I have a few old collections lurking about my CR. I understand that SOL in California varies from 2-4 years, but I am fuzzy about these details: 1. does SOL apply if the account was opened while I was living in a different state at the time? 2. Does SOL mean that I can ask CRAs to remove it? 3. I have some student loans that are reported in my CR but there hasn't been any activity on those since 2001. They have been transfered to a different lender. Do I have SOL on those? Thanks a bunch!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help me understand SOL...

Unfortunately, student loans are one of those "superdebts" that never expire. We have the best government money can buy, and the banks have managed to buy quite a lot of it.
Message 2 of 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

@kukumjacka wrote:
So I have a few old collections lurking about my CR. I understand that SOL in California varies from 2-4 years, but I am fuzzy about these details: 1. does SOL apply if the account was opened while I was living in a different state at the time? 2. Does SOL mean that I can ask CRAs to remove it? 3. I have some student loans that are reported in my CR but there hasn't been any activity on those since 2001. They have been transfered to a different lender. Do I have SOL on those? Thanks a bunch!

I believe the SOL applies to the state you currently reside, California.

As TNWM stated, student loans never expire, unless they are private student loans. If your student loans are government backed, you might look into the rehab program.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The statute of limitations that will be applied in any legal action seeking a judgment of a debt will be the statute of the state where the action is being tried.

The FDCPA specifically provides a debt collector the option of bringing action in either the state where the debt ws created, or in the state of current residency of the consumer. 

In most cases, for practical reasons, legal action will be brought in the state of currrent residence of the consumer, which will make the SOL of that state the governing SOL at trial.  However, many state SOLs include provisions that deal with periods of non-residency, which can incorporate limitations of another state by reference.

SOL are state statutes dealing with the period in which a judgment may be sought on a debt, and have nothing to do with the period after which negative informatino must be excluded from a consumer's credit report, such as lates, a charge-off, or a collection.  They are totally independent.

The credit report exclusion date for collections is no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency on the OC account.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.