cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

Just wondering what the average person is spending on their mortgage each month.  Anyone??
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

Well I'm a career renter (by choice).  But am very curious as to why you asked the question and then not post your % to lead off with?
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

It's very simple.   I am not concerned with the percentage of my current mortgage payment to my monthly net income.  I am looking for a guideline for my next home purchase.  Therefore my current percentage is irrelevant.
Message 3 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

43% but I have more than doubled my payment to pay it off early.  The normal % is about 21% of my net income.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

Most FCs say no more than 25% of your net income so if you net 48k a year, a reasonable mortgage payment is $1000 a month which is about 100k of home.
Message 5 of 19
203bravo
Established Contributor

Oh sas, didn't mean to make you mean.  Was just asking, I find it very humours when someone (anywhere on line) asks for others to disclose personal information, and then say thank you but I'm not going to tell you my personal information.

As far as your current payment ration, very important to the topic, means that you already know what you should be able to afford.  Can currently handle your payments? Is there money left over and going into savings? Not racking up debt for everday living? Getting a raise? Losing a job? yada yada yado.

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Less than 20%
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just under 25% which includes both the mortgage payment and the payment I make every month towards my "fix-up fund" loan (new garage) which is tied to the house.  Mortgage only would be just over 20%.
Message 8 of 19
MattH
Senior Contributor

For the monthly payment to the lender, including Principal, Interest, and Escrow (Property Taxes) my wife and I currently pay about 8% of our gross pretax annual income.  Total housing cost including utilities, maintenance, insurance, etc., is about 15% of our gross pretax annual income.

Both ratios are smaller than average because we prefer to keep the basics, which cannot be changed on short notice, low.  For the same reason I am still driving a 2000 Camry which I might replace in 2010.

We spend a LOT on eating out, entertainment, books, music, etc., all of which we enjoy more than we would enjoy a bigger residence or fancier car, and all of which we could instantly cut back if need be.

Particularly at times of economic uncertainty I think it wise to avoid overspending on the house or the car, because those are difficult to cut quickly should need arise.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 19
marty56
Super Contributor

@MattH wrote:

We spend a LOT on eating out, entertainment, books, music, etc., all of which we enjoy more than we would enjoy a bigger residence or fancier car, and all of which we could instantly cut back if need be.

Having done almost everything wrong in terms of credit cards, I swore I would never be house poor so I bought the smallest home in the nicest sub-division I could afford.   LOL my normal house payment is less then what my DMP payment was.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.