cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

tag
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

I agree with many of the posters on here. I bought a small house in a nice subdivision. My total principle, interest, taxes, homeowners dues, and insurance is ~16% of my take home salary. Like MattH my wife and I enjoy eating out, taking vacations etc and are happy with a smaller more affordable home.

Cheers! 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 11 of 19
demi
Established Contributor

Re: Poll - What percentage of your monthly net income goes to your monthly mortgage payment?

25% including mortgage, taxes, MI...of my 2000 payment, approx 1500 is actual loan amount.  If you add in my Homeowners Association, which is paid separately, its about 28%.  This is in expensive California, so I have, for the state, a relatively inexpensive home (and it looks like my builders are just about to go out of business, or are at least "regrouping."  Wonder what will happen with the 1/2 of the development not built?).
Message Edited by demi on 01-26-2009 10:09 AM

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife and I are currently looking at houses that are in the 25% range, BUT I think that's a very bad and inaccurate way to budget.

What we did instead is we documented our expenses for six months, then averaged them.  And I mean ALL expenses.  You don't have to go THAT crazy, but it's easy to set up a spreadsheet and then be really honest with yourself about what you're spending and will spend.  When you actually add receipts, it's always more than you think.

Gas

Electric

Commuting

Groceries

Etc....

Let's say our take-home salary (after taxes) is $8k.   Our mortgage & taxes is $3k and the total of all anticipated expenses is $4k with childcare...that basically leaves with $1k to save, except for the tax adjustment. 

That's not a lot of buffer. However, more detailed budgeting is much better than arbitrary guidelines or percentages, since everyone's situation varies.  Someone might still be saving money at 40% while someone else might be struggling at 25% if they're paying for 2 kids in daycare.

Message Edited by FICOScott on 01-27-2009 08:54 AM
Message 13 of 19
Mommyto2boys
Contributor

Currently 9% and looking for a larger home but no greater than 16%. I don't see how anyone can afford a home that is 1/3 - 1/2 of their take home pay. I guess you guys are making a ton more than we are...lol!

Message 14 of 19
vawt
Contributor

I'm at 33% or so on my net monthly pay (included P, I, and escrows).  That may seem high, but since I'm single it doesnt bother me (no kids or family type expenses to worry about).  I also put a large amount into my 401k and HSA accounts which really lowers my take home pay during the year.

Getting ready to refinance and it will drop to 28% at today's rates.

Edit: Forgot to note this does not include my yearly bonus payments which changes that percentage dramatically if factored in...

Message Edited by vawt on 01-27-2009 01:12 PM

Scores June-09: EQ 798 TU-785
Scores Mar-09: EQ 792 (getting close) TU-782
Scores Feb-09: EQ- 786 EX- ??? TU-777
Scores Jan-09: EQ- 791 EX- 786 TU-765
Scores Aug-08: EQ- 786 EX- 779 TU- 737
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2005, my mother and I purchased a 1,800 sf townhome in a gated communty.  Our mortgage, property taxes, HOA dues, and insurance combined equates to 35% of our gross income.  We live in California and it is very costly to live in a safe community here.

Message 16 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

We're at 30% of DH salary (take home).  He purchased the home in his name only.  We're avid travellers and have lately decided to downsize to 20% to have an additional trip abroad each year.

Having already paid off one home, I'd now like to kick myself in the arse for moving...grrrrrrr
Message Edited by fishbjc on 01-27-2009 05:10 PM
Message 17 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

About 15% of combined net income. It would be lower, but my net income is low, due to my putting $20.5K into my retirement each year.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 10%. I bought in the mid 90's, before the housing boom. At the time I obtained my Mortgage, I was making significantly less $$ than what I'm earning now. Even in this depressed market, if I were to purchase my home at what it's currently worth, I'd probably have to spend between 38-40% of my income for the payments.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.