Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Member
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
0 Kudos

Possible NC State Tax Lien

Does anyone have an experience with NC state tax liens? I haven't had one issued on me yet, but according to a rep on the phone, they can issue it at anytime. I owe from 2011 and 2012. I have pretty decent credit right now and I don't want this to affect it. The problem iis I can't start paying on it right now. They told me I can do a payment plan which I wouldn't mind doing when I get back to work. If it does go on my credit, can it be removed once it's paid? I've read that some states do this.
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,806
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien

They will garnish your wages and take your tax refunds if you don't work out a payment plan. As far as credit, I could never find anything where they would vacate the lien, just showed it paid. I never pulled a copy so I'm not sure how it shows up in the public records or whether it meets the new reporting guidelines.

I'm surprised it took them this long to come after you for the amount owed. They're usually much faster about it.


EQ 679 EXP 700 TU 763
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 29,741
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien

[ Edited ]

Tax lines are required to be excluded no later than 7 years from the date paid.

Thus, the exclusion period does not begin to run until the debt is paid.

 

Under the new National Consumer Assistance Plan, a CRA must review the posted public record information at least once every 90 days.

Additionally, the CRA will remove if the lien does not provide your name, address, and yur DOB or SSN.

If the state vacates the lien from their public record posting or it does not include the requried name, address, and DOB or SSN, the CRA must remove from your credit report.

 

 

 

Member
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien

[ Edited ]

medicgrrl wrote:
They will garnish your wages and take your tax refunds if you don't work out a payment plan. As far as credit, I could never find anything where they would vacate the lien, just showed it paid. I never pulled a copy so I'm not sure how it shows up in the public records or whether it meets the new reporting guidelines.

I'm surprised it took them this long to come after you for the amount owed. They're usually much faster about it.


The funny thing is they aren't actually coming after me any differently than usual. I just happened to be checking my credit scores and thought I should look into it before its too late. I should be able to start paying on it within the next 2 months. I'm just worried that they'll take action before I have a chance to start paying on it. Part of me thinks that since they haven't done anything yet after all these years, nothing is going to happen in a month or two, but you never know.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,508
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien


mrboss wrote:

medicgrrl wrote:
They will garnish your wages and take your tax refunds if you don't work out a payment plan. As far as credit, I could never find anything where they would vacate the lien, just showed it paid. I never pulled a copy so I'm not sure how it shows up in the public records or whether it meets the new reporting guidelines.

I'm surprised it took them this long to come after you for the amount owed. They're usually much faster about it.


The funny thing is they aren't actually coming after me any differently than usual. I just happened to be checking my credit scores and thought I should look into it before its too late. I should be able to start paying on it within the next 2 months. I'm just worried that they'll take action before I have a chance to start paying on it. Part of me thinks that since they haven't done anything yet after all these years, nothing is going to happen in a month or two, but you never know.


Listen up!!!

 

They don't come after you for several years because there is a very important reason behind that decision. After 2 years you can no longer deny that you owe that money. The penalties and interest also accrue making more money for them to collect, and collect they will.

 

Do not mess with the Government! Call them and set up a payment plan now!

 

A Government tax lien is the most difficult to repair item on your credit report! Liens can be almost impossible to remove!

 

I am speaking from experience here. I hired a tax attorney to have mine paid and removed and it ONLY took 19 months. The only reason my tax liens were even removed was because they changed the laws. I had 2 State Tax liens that have been on my reports since 2006 and they just dropped off a couple of weeks ago.

 

Don't mess with the Government because they will mess you up!


Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 703 8/5/17 - EX 743 8/5/17 - TU 731 8/5/17
Member
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎03-15-2017
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien

Still not in position to pay the monthly payment. I was thinking maybe I can put the monthly payment on my credit card until I can start paying it out of my bank account. Anyone have any thoughts on going that route?
Established Contributor
Posts: 672
Registered: ‎06-04-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Possible NC State Tax Lien


mrboss wrote:
Still not in position to pay the monthly payment. I was thinking maybe I can put the monthly payment on my credit card until I can start paying it out of my bank account. Anyone have any thoughts on going that route?

I was going to recommend this. If it's not easily put on a credit card, take a cash advance from the card and deposit it into your bank account.

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015: EQ 588/TU 552/EX 570
Sept 2017: EQ 679/TU 660/EX 668 w/ 24% CC util reporting
Discover/Target/NFCU CLOC/NFCU Cash Rewards/PenFed Power Cash Rewards - $46k total revolving

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.