cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible change to CCT $1 trial memberships?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible change to CCT $1 trial memberships?

Not sure if anyone else has run into this in the last week or so.

If you do a CCT $1 free trial membership you get your 3B FICO 08 scores immediately, then can get them a second time (for the same original $1) when you cancel 7 days later.  Basically 50 cents for a set of scores since you get 2 sets for a buck.

Recently when I cancelled, it said I wasn't eligible for a 3B refresh for another 20-something days.  That's down to 17 days now.  It appears that instead of them making you wait just a week for a 3B refresh, it now could be a month?  I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Overall while it's disappointing, I obviously understand it as people like me abuse the $1 trial system.  By doing this they are going to push some more people to signing up for "real" memberships most likely which is a sound business move on their part.

Anyway, was this a fluke instance or are the rest of you seeing the same thing?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible change to CCT $1 trial memberships?

I've been trying your cct strategy for almost a month now, canceled a few days ago... JUST signed up again for my buck...

So far looks the same to me...?

Not sure what would look diffrent till I have to cancel in 7 days?

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop on this for a long time. 

I have never understood why CCT just didn't program their system so that it checked any $1 trial membership to see if the person had done it before.  And if so, restrict the person to only one trial every 60 days and a maximum of two during their lifetime.  (Obviously CCT could make the restrictions whatever they wanted -- that's just an example.)

Thanks much to BBS for bringing this to our attention.  Curious to see how it plays out.

The good news is that in the big scheme of things we are in SUCH a better place than we were two years ago, or even 18 months.  We have seen a huge proliferation in free FICO 8 scores drawn from all three bureaus, and equally crucially we have free sources for monthly credit reports.  (The free monthly Experian report was a huge milestone.)

It was not that long ago that the only real option was to pay a lot of money every month and still often only get quarterly reports.

So in the big picture we are ok.  I just really love the CCT trial as a tool for testing conjectures about how the FICO 8 algorithm works.  Being able to cheaply summon a 3B report and three scores drawn at the same precise instant is really nice -- because you can then repeat it three weeks later (say) after the thing you want to test on your profile has changed.

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

When i have canceled my member ship (from what i recall) and log in again... it does say "You are eligable for ANOTHER $1 seven day trial..."

But that was 3 days ago...

I had no issues signing backup this AM after i saw your post.

Message 4 of 34
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has run into this in the last week or so.

If you do a CCT $1 free trial membership you get your 3B FICO 08 scores immediately, then can get them a second time (for the same original $1) when you cancel 7 days later.  Basically 50 cents for a set of scores since you get 2 sets for a buck.

Recently when I cancelled, it said I wasn't eligible for a 3B refresh for another 20-something days.  That's down to 17 days now.  It appears that instead of them making you wait just a week for a 3B refresh, it now could be a month?  I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Overall while it's disappointing, I obviously understand it as people like me abuse the $1 trial system.  By doing this they are going to push some more people to signing up for "real" memberships most likely which is a sound business move on their part.

Anyway, was this a fluke instance or are the rest of you seeing the same thing?

I thought it was the method of the cancel.  if I do it via the phone I get the initial rpt then 2-3 at the end before another $1 trial is offered.  I have friend that for whatever reason cannot cancel via the phone, it bombs out on the bday verify.  anyway she does the cancel via email, then she get 1 rpt after the 7 day trial and then the 30 day countdown.  after 10 days the $1 trial appears again

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When i have canceled my member ship (from what i recall) and log in again... it does say "You are eligable for ANOTHER $1 seven day trial..."

But that was 3 days ago...

I had no issues signing backup this AM after i saw your post.

The issue isn't signing up, it's getting the second 3B pull 7-10 days after signing up.

After cancelling, it said I had to wait 20-something days for a 3B refresh.  In the past, the 3B refresh could be done anywhere from 7-10 days after your sign up date, assuming you cancelled during the 1 week trial period.

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

same for me right now. I was able to get that 2nd refresh.. then about a day after the trial was done they offered the trial again.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just refreshed a copy today.  I signed up 03/03/17 and canceled this past Monday.  I successfully updated my 3B score for free this morning.  

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  Seems like this may have been a fluke for me then as several of you above are reporting no issues out of the ordinary.

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Long time reader, first time poster here.

What does the key moments and alerts section usually say after your second 3 bureau report and before the end of the trial period?

Mine currently says "28 days until you can refresh your 3-Bureau Credit Report with Scores at no additional cost."

I want to make sure I am not going to be charged $29.95 on 3/12.

Timeline

3/1 Signed up for $1 CCT trial and received first 3B report

3/3 Cancelled trial though the automated phone system and received email confirmation

3/8 received 2nd 3B report and the 30 day countdown to next refresh started in the key moments and alerts section. 

This may all be completely normal, but the phrasing made me nervous that my CCT membership had been re-enrolled. I went through the automated phone system again on 3/8, but it said I had already cancelled which was correct.

Thanks

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.