Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Employer Credit Check

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Potential Employer Credit Check

I recently took a qualifying test for a local fire department. I scored pretty high on the test and I am getting called back to take a physical test. I am in decent shape and should pass the physical test with no problems. The interview process involves a credit and background check. I have never so much as gotten a parking ticket so the background check is no problem. I do have a few hiccups on my credit report. A lot of it is my student loans which add up to 60,000 and I am currently a student, so my debt to income ratio is not very good. I have a few collections from about 4 years ago that I am in the process of getting removed. My scores are 596,591, and 635. My question is, Has anyone ever been rejected from a job offer because of a low credit score? It's not like I am bouncing checks or have ever declared bankruptcy. I was just wondering, and I am sure it varies from employer to employer, if there is a certain score or item on a report that is a red-flag for employers.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Potential Employer Credit Check

I can't imagine that they will turn you away for the fire department because of low credit scores. It's not like you'll be working in the financial industry!

I wish you best of luck, it's a noble thing applying to be join your local fire dept. Kudos to you.
Message 2 of 27
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Since you know they are going to pull your credit anyway, I'd write up a letter explaining the collections. I'm not sure about the FD, but a friend of mine was rejected from the PD due to his CR. Granted, he had a BK, but taking responsibility and showing them what you're doing to improve it will speak volumes.

Don't try to explain it away. Simply admit your past transgressions while focusing on the improvements you've made in the interim.

08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 3 of 27
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Good Luck....Fireman are such Hero's!!!!!  Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 27
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I was hired by the FD with scores in the low 500's, but I scored very well in every other part of the hiring process. What they are looking for is integrity. They don't like people who skip out on their obligations (child support), write bad checks, fraud in general. I doubt a few collections are going to kick you out, but if it worries you, then see what you can do to get them paid and deleted.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep! And, they are easy on the eyes, too! (Okay, that was inappropriate, but I have always had a thing for firefighters, sorry!)

fishbjc wrote:
Good Luck....Fireman are such Hero's!!!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might not hurt to just ask what they are looking for in the credit check.  Be up front with them before they even run it, and let them know where you are today with your collections, etc.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, If I get the job, will my score improve as my debt to income ratio drastically improves?
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, your income doesn't make a direct impact on your credit score, as income is not factored into scores.  If you have an CC's you can try to get a CLI that would reduce your utilization rates if you carry a balance. Sometimes if you update your income with creditors, provided it is higher than when you applied, you can get a higher CL, but of course that would only come with excellent payment history and if the overall picture is favorable in the eyes of the lender.

And, if you have collections you can pay off, you can offer a PFD and hopefully get them removed...

OchoGringo wrote:
Also, If I get the job, will my score improve as my debt to income ratio drastically improves?

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help. Does anybody else find it ridiculous that information stays on your report for 7 years? I am 28 now and am 10 times more responsible than I was when I was 21. I also wish someone would have taught me about credit in high school. Or I could have had free access to my reports back then.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.