Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Employers Checking Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Potential Employers Checking Credit

my company does Soft inquiries to Equafax every Quarter.  i was hired with lousy credit, but it motivated me to DO SOMETHING about my credit

it disturbed me at first, but they gave me a chance and i made good!

Message 11 of 19
nathan
Frequent Contributor

In the Navy, you may lose your secret clearance if your credit is bad. Losing a clearance means you  are fired from that job and if they can't find any other job to suit your situation, you are involuntarily discharged.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. An opportunity has come up in which I'd be a small investor but more of a GM (unpaid) in an expanding small business.

They are requiring a Credit and Backround check. No probs with either but I wonder what report will be pulled for the Background Check.

Plan to meet & discuss the details further  next week.

In a situation like this would I out of line by requesting the same info from the principals?   
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DH and I are also a little concerned with this issue right now.  He's working on starting a new job, and found out they will do a credit check.  We have a Chapter 13 BK from 05/2001.  It has already fallen of the EX CR, but it's still on the other two, along with two accounts that were included.  No late payments being listed on either of these, but they still look pretty ugly...just as that Chapter 13 does.  We just keep praying that they will fall off before he gets his formal offer (which we are hoping and praying is in time now)
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe what they are looking for is drug usage, alcohol abuse or crimes of moral turpitude (google it) along with not being suceptible to 'monetary persuasion'.  Someone in very deep debt just struggling to get by could see that $10K in cash as a salvation and look for more next month.

Had clearances with specials for years while a contractor (DoD and a few other 3 letter agencies) - subject to polygraphs every six months, financial reviews whenever they wanted (usually didn't actually know about them), etc... oh, and had to fill out pages of paperwork just to go on vacation... a credit check is nothing - had to do one for my real estate license (we hold people's money and advise them on large transactions).
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This will be a DOD postion as well, so it will be a little more in depth.  Other than those 3 black marks from 2001, his reports are all good.  We'd still like to have them off and be able to start fresh.  I'm thinking of calling TU and EQ and asking them if they could help us out a little since they are due to fall off soon anyway. Thoughts???
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thatold and nothing bad since then - don't sweat it.. Everyone has dings pretty much --- it's whether you could be a 'risk' is what is evaluated.  I've seen clearances pulled for people going into heavy duty debt while employed (and that is even subject to an appeal)- but never because of stuff they have taken care of legitimately in the past.

When he fills out his paperwork just answer HONESTLY - yes I did file BK, yes I did have financial problems... hiding it is the worst thing he could do because they can and will find out.

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 03-10-2008 11:55 AM
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can testify to this as I'd mentioned in an diff post that I lost a really nice Goldman Sachs job last year because me CR showed a total collections debt of more than 10K.  That what when I started my credit repair movement.

Hang in there Ficonians!

SerenityBound....indeed!
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

well, we have never had any collections..so hopefully this will all work itself out.  Thanks for all the encouragement though.  I still think I might call TU and EQ and see what they might do for us.  May cannot get here fast enough.  This has been a LONG 7 years waiting on all of this to fall off. It will feel so go to finally be free.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.