Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential employer checked my credit??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Potential employer checked my credit??

Does anyone have any experience in what it is they are looking for? Everything is current. I have  a judgment from 2004 that was paid as soon as I found about it through ORS (child support) . I have a medical collection I am fighting that also shows paid (from 2007 insurance paid them late due to a bad diagnosis (they diagnosed my daughter with Down Syndrome - umm..she was born with it!!). And then I have 2 cc that are close to max but about 7 that are paid off with 0 balances....are they looking for the score or are they looking to see how responsible I am? I do have my mortgage on there, but no auto loan.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
treski
Frequent Contributor

Re: Potential employer checked my credit??

What field of work are you applying for?
NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a job with Hill Air Force Base with a contracts and consulting firm. I am sure it is because I need security clearance, but are they looking for someone who might be a threat to steal money by showing a history of bk, coll, delinq, etc? I knew they were doing a background check but didn't know credit report was part of it! LOL....we are closing on a refinance this week and had this been a week later it would have shown me almost debt free!!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long if the baddies are old or explainable- you will be fine.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy,

I have 4 lates from exactly one year ago (due to an investment on a 2nd home we fixed up and flipped right when the market crashed.  We lost all our money and the potential of 50-70k). We were paying 2 mortgages and after closing paid most of it off. Will that hurt too much?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds perfectly explainable-

drteharry wrote:
Timothy,

I have 4 lates from exactly one year ago (due to an investment on a 2nd home we fixed up and flipped right when the market crashed.  We lost all our money and the potential of 50-70k). We were paying 2 mortgages and after closing paid most of it off. Will that hurt too much?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Luck Man
Message Edited by hawkster on 10-03-2008 02:04 AM
Message 7 of 10
dondk
Valued Member

the CHRC is not perfect or a catch all for criminal history, a credit report can be used to possibly find those the CHRC did not find.
Working in a security sensitive field, the cases that I know a credit reports was requested more often than not was to qualify the person for corporate credit accounts and not to question the persons background.

many of the reports are also just to create a profile or to verify who you are and a credit report will verify your past employers and residences and see if they match what you put down on the application.

don't read too much into your worthiness, more into your truthfulness.

as an example about 2 years ago we had a guy who came forward with his conviction and a letter from the judge and a whole lot of references. Okay, the conviction was not the best and he explained it well. We called Corporate and asked for a pull of the credit report.
lets say his name was John Paul Doe, well the credit report came back with about 6 alias that were not like Paul Doe, or Joe Doe, but more like Mike william Fawn or something not even remote to his name and 4 different versions of his SS num that he had tried to use to gain credit.

What flag do you think came to mind then?

it is just a way to cross check who you are and maybe a type of character you may be or may have been.

Message Edited by dondk on 09-28-2008 09:23 PM
Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They want to make sure you are not $100 of $1000 in debt making you a risk to sell information;  they want to see that you are responsible and are repaying your debts; they want to see how often you move around.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 09-28-2008 08:56 PM
Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Bankruptcy and future employment.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.