cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential fraud - As I'm waiting to refinance mortgage..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Potential fraud - As I'm waiting to refinance mortgage..

Hey Folks.

Would love your input on this one.

I've been gardening since July '15 and turning down all kinds of juicy preapprovals as I wait patiently for my refinance to get moving.

Yesterday, I get an alert from Equifax that there was a HP from Capital One. A bit of digging revealed it was the auto loan dept. I called them immediately and they said they have no record of an app on my name and SSN. They tell me to fax info to their credit bureau dispute team.

I call Equifax and they tell me there is nothing they can do to remove unless Cap 1send them some electric code that will automatically remove the HP from my CR.

Call me a sceptic but I think they'll both have me running back and forth like a fool.

Then the plot thickens and I literally found out about 5 minutes ago that my wife has an
Unauthorised HP from PenFed on her CR. I'm not yet sure what it was for. I will call tomorrow
To find out.

What is the best way to deal with this?

Should I freeze my file?

Will that affect my mortgage refi? (I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but was planning to at the end of the month.

Please help. Cheers, H.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Potential fraud - As I'm waiting to refinance mortgage..

Do either of you have an existing or prior and still delinquent account with the parrties who did the inquiries?

They may simply have been norma and permissible periodic accunt reviews that were incorrectly coded as hard,, or an inquiry from an old debt collector......

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the response. I have never at any point had a Cap 1 auto loan.

I do have CCs but they are and always have been in good standing.

However, in my wife's case, I think you may be right. She has a CC woth PenFed that

had a few lates and was closed and passed to a collection agency.
But even so, are they allowed to do an HP on her CR?

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, a debt collector has permissible purpose under FCRA 604 to pull a consumer's credit report, with the only proviso being that they must have current, active collection authority.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.