cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Qualified Credit Card Offers in the Mail - Do I go for them?

tag
homewardbound
Contributor

Pre-Qualified Credit Card Offers in the Mail - Do I go for them?

My BK isn't even yet "official", though most balances are showing $0, and I am staring to get pre-qualified notices in the mail from MasterCard Tribute and Visa Salute, both unsecured CC offers.  Am I really "pre-qualified" or will I most likely be denied if I apply, seeing that my BK is fresh and my EQ score is 550?
I know I've been advised to wait to open a CC until I receive the discharge papers, and I am taking this advice, but should I try to apply for one of these offers at that point?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Qualified Credit Card Offers in the Mail - Do I go for them?

You probably won't be denied. That's a usual occurrence after a discharge. Just keep the brakes on, seriously. These offer they are throwing at you are designed to do one thing, and it's not to give you credit. They will hit you for as much as $250 in fees for the "privilege" of giving you a $300 limit. I know it's exciting to get these offers after being in credit purgatory for so long, but these are almost always wolves in sheeps clothing, eager to capitalize on your discharge status. Just take your time. Does your bank offer a secured card? Check that out first. Much better option.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo has a secured card with an $18 fee. I don't understand why anybody needing a sub-prime card gets anything else - maybe they won't give it to just anybody? The OP is much, much better off getting a secured card with a low fee than an unsecured card with a high fee. What do you really NEED a credit card for? Just checking into hotels, renting cars, and buying stuff online and over the phone, and for convenience of not carrying cash or checks. That's it. A secured card will do that for you. No one needs a credit card for borrowing money long term at high interest, and someone just out of BK knows that better than anyone. Once you get your credit built up, there's plenty you can do with credit cards at low or no interest, but at the moment I guess the only people who will give you a card are people who need good assurance to protect themselves against your default, and people who want so much money from you right up front in fees that the risk of your default doesn't matter to them. The important thing for the OP to do is to get in good financial shape, and getting credit is only a part of that, and can be a very small part. Credit is a tool. Figure out what you want to do, why you need credit, how much the credit will cost, and get credit only as it fits into your plans and helps you achieve your goals. Paying a ton of fees to vultures is not the way to achieve your goals. Again, check out the Wells Fargo page; that $18 fee secured card looks like a great deal compared to the other stuff that's out there.
Message 3 of 4
homewardbound
Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  I only want to open a card to rebuild credit, not because I need the credit.  I have been without credit cards for a very long time and am extremely happy without them!  But I need to buy a house in two years and absolutely need to get my scores up way higher by then.  Right now I am at EQ550.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.