Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-paid legal and Credit Issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-paid legal and Credit Issues

I have pre-paid legal through my employer and it comes with an identity theft protection product that I was going to sign up for. Their basic services include letter writing and document review for free. I was wondering what the board thinks about enlisting their help with tough credit issues like CA's refusing to DV and CRA's not removing accounts when they should. I had a problem with a renter a while back and they wrote a letter on my behalf stating all the things I wanted to see happen and it was very helpful. Do you think CA's and CRA's would respond more often if letters came from an attorney's office, or do you think it would be flirting with disaster?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pre-paid legal and Credit Issues

If one was a well-documented and substantiated understanding of the federal and state regulations that CA or a CRA is violating, a lawyer is only going to help your case. Although with pre-paid legal -- which is a scam, much like insurance to me -- they won't be representing you in small claims court should you go, or in federal court if you have to go there, too.

All that said, it's not going to hurt. Filing a law suit will get people to act, if not right, at least act as oppose to ignoring you and continuing to defame your credit and reputation.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i see your point about the "legal - insurance" thing, but i am hoping that a letter with an attorney's name on it will light a fire under someone to act appropriately, even if the outcome isn't necessarily in my favor. they don't represent for free, but they have member attorneys that supposedly work at 60% discount for you. i know that many consumer lawyers that deal with CA's will work on contingency anyway so that's not a big concern for me. I figure that if I have the lawyers send the letters, at least i'll always know that i'm on the right side of the law and if things escalate that i won't have as many possible mistakes to bite me in the rear. anyone else want to weigh in?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been an associate with Prepaid Legal and a member for over 4 years. To answer your question, they have really helped me.  Especially when LVNV Funding threated to take me to court. PPL have continued to write them regarding their inaccurate reporting.  It just makes the situation easier when the CA receives a letter from your attorney.

There are many other areas where the membership has saved me currently over $26,000.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen, I had Prepaid legal for two years. In that time I was concerned about the inaccurate data on my credit reports after my bk. Somethings I was able to get updated/removed but I ran into a wall on a couple accounts. All the credit agencies refused to update. They were still aging accounts that should have been closed/dischraged in my bk. Well I went to Prepaid legal to see if they could help. Now the first attorney I spoke with had a major attitude and she told me there was nothing I could do. I was so offended by her that I called back and reported her behavior and they assigned me another attorney. She listened to me and asked what type of documentation I had and she took it from there. She took my case and sent a letter to all three agencies and it was fixed in 30 days. If you have access to it then use the program!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok good! my fiance is having trouble with a fraudulant cc and Arrow financial. since they've been sued so many times perhaps they will respond to a letter from a lawyer!

Would like to hear more opinions if anyone else has had experience here. good or bad. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.