Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Equifax dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with Equifax dispute

Hello!

I recently purchased a car and I got my three credit reports. Surprisingly, I had two deliquent / derogatory accounts! The first was my fault and I paid it immediately. Around 20 days later, that account was gone from my TransUnion, Experian and Equifax reports. The second derogatory account was an error, and I received a letter from the collections agency stating that my balance was in zero and the account should be deleted. I disputed this account with TransUnion, Experian and Equifax using this supporting document. TransUnion and Experian imediately corrected my report -- great! However, the automated Equifax dispute process did not work -- several times. I also contacted the collectiona agency, who supposedly called Equifax. I also disputed on the phone. Everytime I dispute, I get the same message -- "We verified this account belongs to you".

(1) Why does this not work with Equifax, but the dispute was successful with TransUnion and Experian?

(2) What is my next best step -- how do I escalate?

Thanks in advance!!

Dan

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Problem with Equifax dispute

The debt collector is the furnisher of the reported collection.

The dispute process requires the CRA to refer a copy of the dispute to the furnisher, and for the furnisher to respond back to the CRA.

The key is thus the substance of the response that was provided by the debt collector back to the CRA.

If they notiified the CRA that the reporting was to be deleted, then there would be no reasonable basis for the CRA to verify the accuracy of the reporting.

If you are sure that the debt collector did not verify the accuracy of their reporting back to the CRA, then you have basis for challenging the reasonable determination by the CRA that the reporting of the collection can be veriifed as accurate

You could choose, it he facts speak for themseleves, to file a formal complaint with the CFPB for clear violation of the dispute process by the CRA.

Alternately,if you need more info to support a challenge, you could bring civil action and use the discovery process to get additional facts.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.