Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progressing my score further

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Progressing my score further

Having moved to the US, and after lots of reading on this site, I started my credit score building back in December 2012.  The status of my accounts is:

1) Secured card $1k limit - opened 12/2012 - closed when the community bank was bought out by a bigger bank.

2) Secured card $2k limit with US Bank - opened 1/2013

3) Capital One card now at $2750 limit - opened 1/2013

4) Mortgage (joint with US citizen wife) since 10/2013

All agencies report 2 inq in last 12 months (both due to home purchase).  Experian has the highest overall listing with 8 inq. over 2 years.

- All accounts paid on time.

- I recently requested US Bank to upgrade my secured card to unsecured.  Waiting for response in the mail.

The last FICO I have was when we got the mortgage when the average across the three agencies was 718 (in October 2013).  Based on comparing FICO and my credit monitoring at that time, I estimate my current score is around 730.

Running various credit simulators shows little improvement in my score if I just keep paying everything on time.  So how should I proceed to improve my score?

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Progressing my score further

@Anonymous wrote:

Having moved to the US, and after lots of reading on this site, I started my credit score building back in December 2012.  The status of my accounts is:

1) Secured card $1k limit - opened 12/2012 - closed when the community bank was bought out by a bigger bank.

All agencies report 2 inq in last 12 months (both due to home purchase).  Experian has the highest overall listing with 8 inq. over 2 years.

- I recently requested US Bank to upgrade my secured card to unsecured.  Waiting for response in the mail.

The last FICO I have was when we got the mortgage when the average across the three agencies was 718 (in October 2013).  Based on comparing FICO and my credit monitoring at that time, I estimate my current score is around 730.

Running various credit simulators shows little improvement in my score if I just keep paying everything on time.  So how should I proceed to improve my score?

Thank you

You are doing great.  After 1 1/2 years with the secure credit cards and over a year with a mortgage, I think you are ready to app for a normal credit card (assuming you have good income to debt ratio).   But before you apply for anything else, do you have a goal for your new credit?  If you have a short term need (e.g. buying a car), you might want to pursue that before getting another CC.

If you are just looking to improve your score, the CCs I would think about are:

1) Getting a credit card with a free credit score - Barclay, Discover or Wallmart.  The Barclay average credit card might be a decent option if you are able to PC it later.   I don't know what your chances of getting approved for the Discover IT, but it is also a good CC.  The Wally card is ok, but it will never have good rewards

2) An Amex card to establish your MSD.   If you buy many groceries, the BCP is a good card.   Or one of the new ED cards if you can use MR points for travel. 

3) The Chase Freedom is supposed to be a relatively easy reward credit card to qualify for

4) A CC from a FCU.   They are often the best choice for a limited history

Before applying for any card, I would try the pre-approval sites.   They might give you an idea what you will qualify for.  In general, research any of the above cards to see how likely you are going to be approved.

Ideally, the next CCs you get should not have an AF.   These are cards you want to be able to keep forever.  

I would only add 1 or 2 CC's at this time.  But other more experienced posters, may correct me on this.

Lastly, if you wife has a credit card with a long, clean history, she might consider adding you as an AU.   However,  I don't think you will need it.

Message 2 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you

1.  You might wish to look at optimizing utilization, if you haven't already done so.

2.  You probably want at least one more revolving account, to optimize scores.

3.  You might cultivate a long-term relationship with a couple of good CUs, and perhaps get a CC from them.  NFCU and PSECU are great if you qualify, and DCU is a strong choice that is open to anyone.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Utilization is good.  I run zero balance on the cards apart from allowing a <10% balance to report from time to time.

2) @user 5387.  Could you please explain how a relationship with a CU helps with my score?  I can see an advantage in access to low cost loans, but do not see a connection to scores.

Thank you

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So how should I proceed to improve my score?

Always keep this in mind:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Biggest factor is Payment History which just takes time to establish.  Next is utilization and you are already addressing that.  Next is AAoA and that also just takes time to build.

Given that your oldst account is from 2012 and most of your accounts are from 2013 it seems to me like that just need to put in the time and responsible management.  Building credit takes time and there are no shortcuts.  Progress to unsecured cards and request CLI's as your credit allows.  Establish AmEx membership when you can so you can take advantage of backdating in the future.

@Anonymous wrote:

Could you please explain how a relationship with a CU helps with my score?  I can see an advantage in access to low cost loans, but do not see a connection to scores.

It does not directly but CU's like NFCU are known for granting relatively high limits which can help.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.