Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proofread my GW Letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Proofread my GW Letter?

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to see whether [company] would consider making a goodwill adjustment to the credit reporting bureaus on my closed account. I hope this letter has found a nice person; I’m sure it has because that’s all I have found to this point in my dealings with your company. I too am a nice person, and while that may not be reflected in my payment history it is none the less true (if you want to verify this, I will provide references). Ill education and youthful irresponsibility is the only excuse that I have.

When I was in your “better graces,” I made some, shall we say, missteps. There are a number of late payments that you have reported to the credit bureaus along with a notation of “account closed by credit grantor,” and while this was some time ago (for my memory is at best sub-elephant) I have no doubt that many of those statements are accurate. I was unable to make the payments on my credit account, and I let fear take precedence over responsibility.

At the time, I did not know the Equifax was not in fact some newer way to send paper over the telephone, and I had no idea what train would take me to the TransUnion. I was neglectful at best regarding the timeliness of paying for things which I purchased using your money. I have since learned that the only “Street Cred” one needs can be found in one of three documents provided by EQ, EX, and TU (see, now I even know the abbreviations).  I seek now to regain said “Street Cred.”

At one point I was offered a settlement, but in an effort to do the right thing I rejected it; not knowing what the terms “charge off” or “settlement for less than owed” meant. The debt was mine to be paid, and pay it I did. I ask now that you do what may be construed as, if not the best thing, at very least the good thing. I am asking whether Chase Bank would remove the adverse late payments reporting from this account to the credit bureaus as well as the notation of closed by credit grantor. I understand this is a rather unusual request--particularly as my accounts fell behind upwards of 120 days. However I appeal to the aforementioned “better graces”, and nice person. From one nice person to another, help me out if you can.

Regardless of your decision, thank you in advance for reading this letter, at least its different from the many others you read daily. I sincerely hope to build my credit back to position in which I may do business with Chase again one day.

Very Sincerely

Name

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proofread my GW Letter?

too long do you think?
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone out there care to help me out?
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would shorten it slightly, you don't want your good-humored kindness to be mistaken for weakness. And leave out the "at least it's different"... once you have to explain the punchline, it's suddenly not as funny.

Your writing style reminds me sooo much of my older bro Smiley Happy You're not a forever bachelor living in Pittsburgh, are you? Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

nope, married with a two year old... in idaho of all places!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the input, i'll definitely take it into account. anyone else out there whose had some experience with these things? anyone at all?

Message Edited by Im_doing_it_right on 03-31-2008 10:55 PM
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, definitely needs to be shorter.

You should state what you want them to do in the first paragraph.  It is buried towards the bottom of your letter.  They may not read that far.

Also, I think the "you're a nice person" approach is a bit smarmy.  JMHO.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

smarmy? i'm not sure what that means but shorter, seems to be the consensus... i can work with that. i'm sticking it in todays mail... so here's hopin'
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent out 8 GW letters this morning,

1 for auto loan
1 for students loans
and 6 on credit cards

late payments ranging from 30 -120 days. some accounts are still open some are not. i had to draft about 3 different letters to taylor them for each situation. I'm faily confident in some like my auto loan and student loans. since i've had them for about 5 years now and only had one 30 day period 2 years ago cause i relocated to s.c. and took about 3 months to find a job.

side note i check my credit report and notice AMEX hadn't reported the right balance, so i disputed it. no only did they update the balance they wiped off a 30 day late from 2 years ago also.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.