Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros & Cons to a Marriage License

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Pros & Cons to a Marriage License

Pro - if you are of different nationalities you get the ability to live and work in both countries, and any kids have dual citizenship  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon state law.  Most states require a marriage license in order for a legal marriage to follow and be recognized.  Blood tests, underage marriages, attestation to status as not currently being married, etc, are all legiitimate legal matters in which most states require attestation.
However, at present eleven states and the District of Columbia recognise common-law marriages. Common-law marriages, if recognised, are valid notwithstanding the absence of a marriage licence.
I would strongly advise that you seek legal counsel, and not advice on a credit forum.
Message 12 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Residency upon marriage to a US citizen does not prescribe citizenship rights.  I am married to a Filipina.  Marriage conveyed no US citizenship upon her, or right to continued residency in the US, or my right to residency or citizenship in the Philippines.  I does convey right of citizenship to any chiildren born to us in the US, but beyond that, others are just mitigating factors, and have no automatic provisions for resident status, work status, visitation status, or citizenship.
Some countries recognize dual citizenship, and others do not, so children having nationality in any one country are not necessarily dual citizens of the countries of both parents.
Many still believe the Hollywood movie plots that women come to the US to snatch an American husband, thus becoming automatic US citizens.  It just aint so.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 06-22-2008 12:13 AM
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If God forbid one of you passes away, the other would be eligible to receive survivor benefits from social security and have the rights over burial and things like that.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

South Carolina considers any man and woman residing together overnight for just 30 days to be common-law Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.