Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prosper.com - consolidate your high interest debt

tag
drvbasic
Established Member

Prosper.com - consolidate your high interest debt

Hi guys,
I saw a site called prosper.com. The site is quite interesting. It is an open marketplace that allows users to put up requests for loans and other people can make an investment and purchase the loan. For example I put up a request for $5000 and I am willing to pay 11% interest. So now people who are interested in my story will bid on my loan and if enough people bid then I will be able to receive it. This I think is pretty good for people who want to consolidate their high interest credit card debt. You can pay off your credit cards and over the course of three years you can pay this loan off...so another tradeline will also show up and your utilization on all those other cards will drop drastically. If the forum moderators could chime in on this with their opinions, i would like to hear what they think.

In addition it is a fairly good investment...you can get a return of anywhere from 9-25% on your money, which is a lot better than a normal savings account. Also you do not need to loan major amounts of money, rather it says you can even loan small amounts such as $50. So if you have 5000 to invest you can loan 100 people 50 each that way spreading our risk around...sound investment if you ask me. I will do that after I pay my loan off.

drvbasic
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
missgamecock
Contributor

Re: Prosper.com - consolidate your high interest debt

I saw a news article on that and am interested in it. Rather give my interest to a person than some snarky credit card company.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a 550 is a FAKO score from TC- I am surprised you qualified -

BTW- This reports as a CFL (Consumer finance Loan) snf will ding your scores-

@drvbasic wrote:
Hi guys,
I saw a site called prosper.com. The site is quite interesting. It is an open marketplace that allows users to put up requests for loans and other people can make an investment and purchase the loan. For example I put up a request for $5000 and I am willing to pay 11% interest. So now people who are interested in my story will bid on my loan and if enough people bid then I will be able to receive it. This I think is pretty good for people who want to consolidate their high interest credit card debt. You can pay off your credit cards and over the course of three years you can pay this loan off...so another tradeline will also show up and your utilization on all those other cards will drop drastically. If the forum moderators could chime in on this with their opinions, i would like to hear what they think.
In addition it is a fairly good investment...you can get a return of anywhere from 9-25% on your money, which is a lot better than a normal savings account. Also you do not need to loan major amounts of money, rather it says you can even loan small amounts such as $50. So if you have 5000 to invest you can loan 100 people 50 each that way spreading our risk around...sound investment if you ask me. I will do that after I pay my loan off.
drvbasic

Message 3 of 7
cobra19
Valued Contributor

I am a lender on prosper. many folks with E credit have obtained loans
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

I would be more tempted to do a balance transfer to a new credit card.  I am not convinced in the long term wisdom of borrowing money to pay back other debts.

The lending part seemed interesting and you can spread out the risk but if the company goes belly up, it is unlikely you would see any of your money.

We all want credit card companies to overlook past mistakes and most of us who had late payments in the past have feel we have a valid excuse for what happend, I know I did, but would you trust your money to the FICO system - the same one that misjudged you good or bad?

I was 30 days late 1 time, 60 days late 2 times and 90+ days late 7 times on one account 2 years ago while I was in a DMP becuase BofA droped me from the program after being in it 2 years with no lates and I didnt realize it until the account was in such bad shape.  I was paying during the time period but it wasnt the right amount.  The account is now PIF and was never late after I learned of the mistake.

I know late is late but would you loan someone like me money by just knowing my FICO score?  The score didnt say what may intent was - both good or bad.  I think I didnt deserve what happend to me, especially since BofA did little to contact me until the account was really messed up.  Have you ever heard of a CCC that wouldnt call someone the moment a payment was a little late?

I doubt anyone here would have loaned me money at the time when my scores were at their worst, even if they did buy my story.

I will pass on Prosper but I am interested to see what happens.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 7
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Not sure how many folks borrow on propser in order to do CC balance transfers, although that is one reason for borrowing. I think many people who seek to borrow on prospoer are small entrepeneurs. They own - or have a business plan - for a small business. Real estate investing (flipping) is a common.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 7
drvbasic
Established Member

Well for everyone that is a member of prosper or that plans on joining take a look at my listing and see if i fit the criteria for bidding and if i do feel free to  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.