Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prosper loan vs credit card debt

tag
mloupagu
Established Member

Prosper loan vs credit card debt

I was just reading about Prosper loans here, interesting concept. I have about 8,000 in credit card debt spread between 2 credit cards. I was thinking, to get my FICO scores up (the are currently in the low 700's) to get a 8000 loan to pay it off. Do you think that this would be a good idea? My interest rates average 20% on the credit cards.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Prosper loan vs credit card debt

With your scores, it would certainly save you money to pay off the revolving with a lower interest rate loan.  You don't necessarily have to go thru Prosper, you shouldn't have trouble getting a good rate at most places with those scores.

I always also recommend calling your CCCs and asking them for a better rate.  Most people get them just by asking.  I had one card cut from over 22% variable down to 12% fixed just by saying 'hey, I'm getting 0 rate intro offers from other companies... what can you do because I don't want to switch but your rates are outrageous'.  Takes 5 minutes but most people don't because they feel intimidated for some reason.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 3
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Re: Prosper loan vs credit card debt

Prosper is not an answer to improving credit based on the TL. They only report to Experian, and that's periodically/sporadically. You're not going to get as good a rate as you could get at a bank or CU either; people bid on loans with high interest rates because that's how they make the money on the money they're using to fund the loan.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.