cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q: Just received a refund check from a creditor, but have no idea why.

tag
Techngro
Established Member

Q: Just received a refund check from a creditor, but have no idea why.

Hey guys. I am in the process of slowly rebuilding my, so i've been on this forum a couple of times with questions and thought someone might be able to help me out with this one. 

I got home from work tonight and found a letter from the creditor who obtained a default judgement against me and has been garnishing my wages. Technically, it's not a letter, just a check for a certain amount. The check seems legit (TD Bank). It has my full name and address, and in the memo portion it says 'REFUND' among other things. It's dated 7/16, and says it's void after 90 days. The weird thing is that they are still garnishing me, so why would I be getting a refund?

I would just call them (i've actually never had contact with them at all), but it's Saturday night. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Q: Just received a refund check from a creditor, but have no idea why.

@Techngro wrote:

Hey guys. I am in the process of slowly rebuilding my, so i've been on this forum a couple of times with questions and thought someone might be able to help me out with this one. 

I got home from work tonight and found a letter from the creditor who obtained a default judgement against me and has been garnishing my wages. Technically, it's not a letter, just a check for a certain amount. The check seems legit (TD Bank). It has my full name and address, and in the memo portion it says 'REFUND' among other things. It's dated 7/16, and says it's void after 90 days. The weird thing is that they are still garnishing me, so why would I be getting a refund?

I would just call them (i've actually never had contact with them at all), but it's Saturday night. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Sounds to me the your obligation has been fulfilled and the overpayment was sent back to you. You now need to contact them and have them send notice to your employer or to you which you can give your employer to discontinue the wage assignment

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Techngro wrote:

Sounds to me the your obligation has been fulfilled and the overpayment was sent back to you. You now need to contact them and have them send notice to your employer or to you which you can give your employer to discontinue the wage assignment

I agree, it is most likely a result of overpayment to the creditor. Not that it is the same, but it happens to me once a year when I pay too much to my mortgage company for estimated property taxes. I would say to not deposit the check until you can call them on monday and ask. 

Message 3 of 6
Techngro
Established Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I will take your advice and wait until Monday when I can call them. If there has been an overpayment, that would be great news, cause it would mean the end of my garnishment (even though I've been keeping tabs on it, and it's not supposed to end for a while.) But we'll see. I'll update this post when I find out what it's all about.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they are garnishing your pay, they have a court order authorizing the garnishment.

Just sending a check for some unspecified refund may only apply to accounting for their last authorized garnishment, not the full satisfaction of the debtm so I would not rely soley upon that as their statement that the debt is considered satisfied.

Once the debt has been satisfied, they have an obligation to notify the court that the terms of the garnishement order have been fulfilled.

That is the "take it to the bank" statement by the judgment creditor that the garnishment order has been satisfied.

I would approach from the point of view of getting the judgment creditor to provide their required notification to the court, which will then provide clear factual basis for their requirement to also promptly update your credit file to show $0 debt. 

Message 5 of 6
Techngro
Established Member

Again, thanks for the responses guys.

RobertEG is correct in that it had nothing to do with the ending of the garnishment, which hasn't ended. It was simply that they had miscalculated the interest on the debt, so they sent me the difference. But at least the check is legit.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.