cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest to purge employer from all 3 credit reports.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quest to purge employer from all 3 credit reports.

Hey everybody, I have an old employer (Staples) that is still being reported on all 3 of my credit reports by 5 of my creditors. However I no longer work at Staples anymore, and it was a really short work history there. Therefore I wanted the 3 credit bureaus to delete the employer from my "employment history". Is getting the 3 credit bureaus to delete an employer listing possible? I was thinking of calling in and asking all 3 of them if they would be willing to do this. In addition, I heard that Experian is the worst when it comes to deleting employers, is this true? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quest to purge employer from all 3 credit reports.

I have an employer from the 1980's listed on my reports. I don't care, so I've never thought about trying to have it removed. I have a hunch, though, that it isn't the type of information that can be removed. It's a legitimate record. And, even if you did get it removed from the CRA's there are plenty of others that maintain records of this type.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Truth be told with all the data they have on me and profile they've built, I'm HAPPY when they have incorrect data such as employer, as long as I don't see how it could harm me in any way.  I won't speak for others, but I've left old/badly mispelled/never correct employers, and feel quite alright about it.

I'm not sure how others may feel, but this is how I've felt up until now, at least.  All 3 bureaus report different employers for me.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never had any difficuty getting the three CRAs to delete information from the PERSONAL INFO section.  They have deleted old addresses, employers, cell phone numbers, etc.  Obviously they won't delete your name or social or DOB or current address.  And I usually allow them to have one past address as well. 

Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Employers are easy to maintain on your CRs you can have old ones removed, I did and just maintained my last one on file.

Message 5 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an employer from the 1980's listed on my reports. I don't care, so I've never thought about trying to have it removed. I have a hunch, though, that it isn't the type of information that can be removed. It's a legitimate record. And, even if you did get it removed from the CRA's there are plenty of others that maintain records of this type.

I had two non employers listed from the 80's "Student" and "Delta Airlines".  After 30 years I got tired of them being listed and had them removed - no problem at all. I also had the CRAs add my last 4 employers - again no problem at all. They may check the current employer - but I guarantee they don't check the others.

I received communications that say "verified" but that was BS. One of the employer's names had name so badly misspelled there would have been no way they could verify. I called back and had to re-communicate the correct spelling. Frankly, CRAs don't give a damn about past employers or prior addresses.

I had a PO box and a place I never lived on my CRA files. I had these deteted no problem and added prior addresses - again no issue and likely not checked as it would be WAY TO COSTLY and painful to attempt to verify. Only current address is critical for the CRAs.

So could you get a prior employer deleted? - I suspect no problem. You could say the info was incorrect and I suspect they won't check (what's the point) old is old and not important for verifying current status and neither current or old has a bearing whatsoever on scores.

Heck - if you want them to list student as prior employment, feel free.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everybody, I have an old employer (Staples) that is still being reported on all 3 of my credit reports by 5 of my creditors. However I no longer work at Staples anymore, and it was a really short work history there. Therefore I wanted the 3 credit bureaus to delete the employer from my "employment history". Is getting the 3 credit bureaus to delete an employer listing possible?

It's certainly possible but why does it matter to you?  What outcome are you expecting from having that employer removed?  It really makes no difference with regard to your scores, approvals, etc.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

...issues such as avoiding skip-tracing, not wanting others to attempt contacts, etc are common reasons to lay low.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had past addresses removed easily. Had one in a state I never lived in! No questions asked. 

Insert tasteless comment on past employers here---removing that one job in college

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.