Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Paying Before Statement Shows

tag
TuffTurkey
Regular Contributor

Question About Paying Before Statement Shows

So I made a purchase on my overstock store card and its showing what i paid on the member site of commenity bank. But no statement amount. Can I make a payment now? Will it count as an on time payment or no because the statement hasn't come in yet.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Question About Paying Before Statement Shows

I make payments on all my cards before the statement comes out.  Most I dont want to show a balance and a couple that I use all the time because I dont like have to have a large balance.  This is what works for me. It wont hurt you to pay before statement and if you are trying to keep your utl down then this is what you want to do.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@TuffTurkey wrote:

So I made a purchase on my overstock store card and its showing what i paid on the member site of commenity bank. But no statement amount. Can I make a payment now? Will it count as an on time payment or no because the statement hasn't come in yet.

I would say every payment that is not going into the late category is considered on time Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Its_Me
Regular Contributor

@TuffTurkey wrote:

I have a couple credit cards I paid on before the statement cut because I was trying to get the balance down. I still had to pay the minimum once it cut. May depend on the creditor. 

Message 4 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Its_Me wrote:

@TuffTurkey wrote:

I have a couple credit cards I paid on before the statement cut because I was trying to get the balance down. I still had to pay the minimum once it cut. May depend on the creditor

^^Yep. You still have to make a payment after the statement cuts because it is a new statement period. Exception to this is if you had paid in full prior to the statement date - naturally.

Message 5 of 11
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Some pay by the prior billing cycle's due date. A cycle is ~30 days, the grace period is ~25 days, so five days before the upcoming statement date. You reduce the current cycle's balance and meet the prior cycle's minimum payment at the same time.

Message 6 of 11
TuffTurkey
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys Just wanted to make sure there was nothing negative that can happen if i pay before the statement. So ill pay before and after one for records and 2 for uti purposes! Smiley Very Happy im slowly starting to get it haha

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd suggest not paying that early, since it's not even showing a due date yet. You can pay now, but when starting out, in my view, it's better to go with the normal payment flow. Overthinking payment timing can result in some nasty surprises...

For example, paying prior to statement cut, and then thinking no payment is due for the following month - easy way to get hit with a Late. Even when paying in full, there can sometimes be trailing charges. Likely not an issue with Overstock, but definitely an issue with various sub-prime cards, in particular, Credit One and First Premier.

Utilization makes little to no difference if one has numerous credit card baddies reporting balances. Some lenders, especially those aimed towards those with poor to bad credit (Fingerhut is a prime example), like to see balances being carried a bit. Generally payment in full is best to avoid interest, etc, but sometimes letting it ride can be ok too.

In short, don't worry about util at this point. Just be sure to pay well in advance (ideally 2 weeks or more; payment can get lost in mail; on-line bank withdrawal reversed) of the due date.

Message 8 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilization makes little to no difference if one has numerous credit card baddies reporting balances. 

It is a less significant of a factor but that doesn't mean that it has little to no impact.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TuffTurkey wrote:

Yes, you can make a payment now. It will be subtracted from the next statement, and anything left will have a payment due within the next statement period. Paying it now will mean no interest charges on it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.