Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Utilization and Reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question About Utilization and Reporting

I just got my first credit card. It has a $300 dollar limit. Of course it didnt show on my CR until I got my first bill. At that time, with the initial $75 fee, and a couple of charges the balance was $126. Am I right in thinking that utilization that will be reflected on my CR will be the balance as of the next bill? I plan to keep it in the 20% range and build the score until I can get a second card, then keep the total utilization somewhere in that range (unless lower is suggested). I just want to know if it's ok to carry a higher balance as long as it it at 20% at billing time. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question About Utilization and Reporting

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got my first credit card. It has a $300 dollar limit. Of course it didnt show on my CR until I got my first bill. At that time, with the initial $75 fee, and a couple of charges the balance was $126. Am I right in thinking that utilization that will be reflected on my CR will be the balance as of the next bill? I plan to keep it in the 20% range and build the score until I can get a second card, then keep the total utilization somewhere in that range (unless lower is suggested). I just want to know if it's ok to carry a higher balance as long as it it at 20% at billing time. 

Not a problem at all.  Utilization is only measured by what's reported to the bureaus, and at your stage in the process don't worry about it at all.  Establish a few more accounts, and then don't miss or ever be late with a payment.  Personally I'd open those accounts sooner rather than laters, no sense leaving payment history on the floor while time is passing (which is the only constant in the algorithm sort of like life heh).

        
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank ya, sir! Thats exactly what I needed to know! 

All this has been a lot to take in, and is especially taxing because I am the antitheses of a patient individual. That said, I do plan to add another account or two soon. Unfortunately I was denied for a secured Cap One card, so that option is off the table for the time being. I will likely use my current accounts to build up as my inquiries age a bit, and then go for another account or two. I went on a bit of an app spree trying to find a good card to rebuild, and that ultimately hurt me a bit. 

I am prequalified for a Credit One card, but the general concensus is to treat that card like black death and STAY AWAY! LOL!

I also have two relatively recent collections that should be off my report within the next month, as both were erroneously reported. Hopefully, given their recency and being about $600 between them I will get a decent push on the score when they come off. 

Thanks so much for the fast response and good advice!

Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Heh, likewise don't sweat score or inquiries right now.  Going on a small spree is the right thing to do when first starting as the biggest mistake I think people make is not getting enough tradelines to start.  3 or maybe a few more is plenty for now as most of the lines aren't very good or are of the secured variety but pretty much anything helps for the moment.

IF you have two bogus collections coming off I'd hang out as you suggest, but look at credit score building as a long term endeavour even though it's hard.  I'm having a hard time sitting on my hands thinking past my mortgage at this point (like seriously, the cards don't rate in comparison and they'll still be there post-keys-in-hand) even so I can empathize.

Usually I don't have this problem but I'm getting antsy Smiley Happy.

        
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Am I right in thinking that utilization that will be reflected on my CR will be the balance as of the next bill?

If the card reports on statement date.  Many but not all do.  You need to confirm the report dates for each of your accounts if you want to manage reported balances/utilization.  If you have your reports you can view the last report date for your accounts on your reports.  Credit Karma gives you free access to your TU and EQ reports with weekly updates.

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to keep it in the 20% range and build the score until I can get a second card, then keep the total utilization somewhere in that range (unless lower is suggested).

That's really your call to make.  Lower is generally better and you don't want to exceed 30% but there are other subjective and practical considerations as well.  Some choose to optimize all the time but it's really not generally suggested unless applying.

@Anonymous wrote:

All this has been a lot to take in, and is especially taxing because I am the antitheses of a patient individual.

It's a long, slow process so definitely get in the right mindset.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.