cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: Identity theft or a big mistake?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: Identity theft or a big mistake?

I'm new here so please bear with me!  It's been a year since I last read my reports (I know, I know).  I've signed up for monthly monitoring...

I was horrified to see that Equifax was reporting negative information -- even my name was changed on the report. I now have a new middle initial in addition to my middle name (my reports are first/middle/last name). With the last year, there were three charge offs -- 2 from ATT (been w/T-Mo for 7 years) and one from FstPremie, whatever that is. Of course, I've sent a dispute letter but I'm panicked that these won't come off the account.

The scores are TransUnion = 813 (yay!); Experian=732 (not too shabby); Equifax=619 (yikes)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question: Identity theft or a big mistake?

I'd put a fraud alert on each CRA and file a police report for ID theft. I then would use that police report to dispute with each CRA to remove what isn't yours.

First Premier is a CC.

Message 2 of 7
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

It's highly unlikely the Police will write a report for Identity Theft based on what appears on your credit report.

Dispute the entries with the Credit Agency as "Not Yours". They will initiate an investigation and report back to you. If they investigative report comes back as verified, contact the creditor in writing and dispute as "Not Yours"

and request any and all information that they have to prove this information is actually yours.

That should be your starting point.

Should the information that was placed on your report was in fact caused by Identity Theft then you could request your local law enforcement agency to file a report.

Don't panic, if the information is not accurate the entry will be removed. Unfortunately, it may take a little time to correct.

Message Edited by Cleanmachine on 12-15-2008 06:32 AM
Message 3 of 7
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new here so please bear with me!  It's been a year since I last read my reports (I know, I know).  I've signed up for monthly monitoring...

I was horrified to see that Equifax was reporting negative information -- even my name was changed on the report. I now have a new middle initial in addition to my middle name (my reports are first/middle/last name). With the last year, there were three charge offs -- 2 from ATT (been w/T-Mo for 7 years) and one from FstPremie, whatever that is. Of course, I've sent a dispute letter but I'm panicked that these won't come off the account.

The scores are TransUnion = 813 (yay!); Experian=732 (not too shabby); Equifax=619 (yikes)

Do you not recall having an account with AT&T and First Premier? First premier is a bank that is notrious for having many junk fees attached to their credit cards and limits usually set at $300. If you dont recall having any of theseaccounts, then yes it is a serious issue and I would recommend filing the police report, filing a complaint with the FTC, and puting a fraud alert on your credit reports.

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, if you have not put a Fraud Alert on all 3 agencies Eq, Ex, Tu, do that now.

Next.

Whether it was identity theft not sure. Sometimes people just get a social messed up and can't remember it and give the wrong social thinking it is their's.... This can happen with Cell phone companies and collections....

Maybe possible with cell carriers like Att, but not so likely with credit cards as they need to confirm more so address, name, social to all match up...

How many months ago were these accounts opened? Is FP bank listed on EX and TU credit agencies??? Odd if it were only EQ since FP usually report to all 3 CRAs.

Don't panic, just start with the basics. Put a Fraud Alert on all 3 CRAs, contact Att and FP bank to investigate to help you learn how this happened to determine if it was a mistake where someone had your social with their name and address or if it was true identity theft. Then take it from there.

Keep an eye in "Inquiries". If you see something pop up that is not yours, consider a police report. But for now try and learn what happened. I'd try to do all this today. It would probalby take about 1 hour to contact Att and FP and ask all the questions, such as:

Name and Address on file.
Data opened.

Was there activity on the credit card.

Location of the Att store where service was activated.

Please post what you find and people here should be able to direct you further.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have but two credit cards -- neither is First Premier --  they are *not* low limits and I rarely have a balance on either. My only phone account for the last five years has been with T-Mobile (no land line for several years).

Thanks to all - I'll put the fraud alert on the reports. This sounds naive, but do I just call the local police to file or is there a national/state bureau to use? 

Message 6 of 7
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

If someone opened a 1st premier account and ATT account by using your name and SS #, then its credit abuse. You will want to:

1. File a police report with your local dept (you can just call and an officer will take your statement and forward it to a detective)

2. File a complaint with the FTC online:  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/consumers/filing-a-report.html

3. Place a fraud alert by calling Transunion:  1-800-680-7289 (They will automatically place an alert on yor EX & TU)

4. Monitor your reports for unauthorized activity

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.