Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Average Age of Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Average Age of Account

So here's what I'm trying to figure. How does Average age of account factor into your score? I know it is 10% of your credit score but at what point does it get better? 5 yrs is better than 1 yr and 10 yrs is better than 5 yrs but at what points does it make a difference? How much of a difference in score would you see between 1 and 2 yrs? if any

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about Average Age of Account

It's a YMMV thing. It all depends on your scoring bucket and credit profile. Overall length of history (and oldest CC, oldest installment, etc.) all play into that 10% too. You can have two people see an increase in AAoA from 5 years to 6 years, and one might see an increase and one might not. Threw any figure out there, but you get the idea. I personaly saw a gain from 2 to 3 years. I've hit 4 years and saw nothing. DW went from 2 years to 3 to 4 with no changes when the AAoA changed over at the beginning of that month. IME, my gain was around 10, IIRC.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question about Average Age of Account

No one can give you a precise answer to that question other than Mr. Fair Isaac.

Their scoring algorithms are trade secrets, and thus the specifics are not public.

Anecdotal experiences are about all you can rely upon.  AAoA is only one part of the lenght of credit scoring category, which also includes the age of your oldest tradeline.  The weighting of those two sub-components is not even known, so AAoA is most likley less than the 15% weighting of the category.

Since one cannot control their AAoA other than to avoid the addition of new accounts that will reduce it, or not ask for the entire deletion of existing accounts tht are older than your current AAoA, all you can really do is to be aware of how not to reduce it, and just wait and see.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.