cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about CO turned KD (old medical collection - unpaid)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about CO turned KD (old medical collection - unpaid)

I have a medical collection (small money, <$300) that was turned over to a collection agency back in April 2004 that turned into a charge off sometime after.  It now shows as a "key derrogatory" on the Experian site, and the account status is "closed".  Anyhow, I was about to send a pay for delete letter to the collection agency, but I'm wondering if maybe I should try the original creditor first, or if that would even be relevant anymore.  I've already disputed the claim's authenticity with Experian (as I have no recollection of it), but they evidently found enough evidence to swat my claim. 

The "Last Reported Date" is April 2007, by the way -- I'm not sure if this coincides with my dispute (can't remember, exactly, but it was close in time) or if maybe this gets updated automatically each April for seven years, but I sure hope I haven't reset the clock somehow.

Any advice?  I'm new to this board and would appreciate any help.  In the absence of input from you guys, my plans are (in this order):

1) PFD the OC
2) PFD the CA
3) Pay the bill and then GW the CA

Thanks much in advance.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about CO turned KD (old medical collection - unpaid)

Please guys -- how about some help with this?  At least, should I even deal with the OC at all in this case?

Thanks again.
Message 2 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

PFD the party who is reporting it! GWing a CA would be may last resort.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a bunch for the reply.  Was starting to wonder if these posts were actually making it to the forum. :-)

So to be sure I understand, your advice is to target (PFD) the CA?  There is no benefit to trying to work with the OC first?

Also, does this being (originally) a medical bill have any special implications?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Logic Im having the same issues on y CR..However, I will be trying through the OC b/c the CA changed a status date on my report that I disputed......Will not be sending a PFD to CA but I will to the OC..CA's are so greedy and almost always lie and say that they cannot remove the item anyway..Best of luck to you.....
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, and best of luck to you. 

Here's the critical question on this topic, I guess:

Does the OC have the authority to delete the trade line after it has been handed over to a CA?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other question:

(I've seen differing opinions about this on various forums)

As a last resort, is there any benefit at all to paying off a CO?  Even though the account is inherently derrogatory, would it not be beneficial to eliminate the balance if the out-of-pocket cost is negligible?  (Just thinking ahead, here)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other inputs, guys?  I'm about to send a letter out in the morning.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.