Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Chase account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Chase account

Hi everyone.  I have a couple of questions about what do with a Chase credit card that I had.  I had two credit cards with Chase that I unfortunately became deliquent on.  I received a letter in the mail from chase regarding one of my credit cards with a settlement offer and I mailed them a reply letter asking for payment arrangements on this card because I didn't have the money for the settlement offer.  I don't know if they never actually received my letter or decided not to accept it, but I never got a reply.  After I didn't get a response a few weeks later, I decided to call and was told that my account was now with a MRS collections and that they could no longer speak to me about it. 

I still had another card that was in collection status, but was still with Chase.  I made arrangements with a guy on the phone who said that he could drop the current amount due from $900 to $500 because a lot of that was late fees and over-the-limit fees and that once I paid the $500, my account would re-age and I would be considered current and then could pay off the card with making my minimum payments.  I didn't have the $500 right then, but I paid $250 then and made arrangements for the other half ($250) to be taken out on the 1st.  I received a letter from Chase today regarding this same credit card saying I needed to call and make arrangements on this account before it was sent to a collection agency.  When I called to explain that I had already made arrangements, the representive said that there were no notes on the account about any arrangements I had made, but that she saw the payment for $250 and the other payment for $250 scheduled to come out the first of the month.  I explained to her what this man had told me and she transferred me to her manager.  The manager told me that the gentleman I spoke with wasn't able to make arrangements as far as accepting a lesser amount for the current balance due, but what they would do is after I make my next payment they would consider my account current again but I would still have over-the-limit fees until I paid an additional $600.  (They closed this credit card months ago).  Since I never got a response to my letter on my other c/c and given the situation with the card I am currently working on, I asked for something in writing stating that my account would be considered current after my next payment and she told me that she could not send me anything in writing.  That she would give me her name and ID# there, but that was all she could do.  I told her that without them sending me something in writing this time that I wasn't comfortable paying them any more money.  She refused to budge and so my next scheduled payment was cancelled and the phone call basically ended. 

Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this?  I'm not comfortable giving them any more money without an agreement in writing since they didn't honor the original arrangement I made on the account and they refuse to give me something in writing regarding our conversation.  I am trying to clean up my credit and make good on the currents debts that I owe, but my attempts on both of these cards have failed miserably.  Should I send a letter to a CEO or something?  I am more than willing to make arrangements and I have made 3 attempts to do so... I just want something in writing before doing anything else.  The woman said she understood my situation about wanting it in writing, but that she could only give me a verbal agreement. 

Any thoughts on the situation would be greatly appreciated.  Our checking account and mortgage is also with Chase, so we do have other accounts with them.  The total amount due on this card is around $3100 and they are saying I am past due $800 right now because my payment of $250 had already been applied.  Maybe I'm just being stupid about the whole thing, but I don't think it's unreasonable to request something in writing before making any more payments. 

Anyway, any thoughts or advise you have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Chase account

call the FDIC  ask for the admin offices for Chase....You do NOT want custmer service!!!!

I had trouble with Chase & this is what I did.....I called the Admin. office #  & I asked to speak to someone that could help me with CC problems............lady was very nice & YES  she sent me everything in writting!!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-24-2008 07:37 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Chase account

Thank you for the response.  I will do that tomorrow and hopefully I will have better luck.  I can't believe how hard it has been to try and take care of these accounts.  

Thank you again!!   
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.