Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about auto loan

So I am taking a auto loan from Pen Fed shortly for $26,000...my Fico's are high 7's....how should I expect that to effect Fico?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about auto loan

Probably won't hurt much, other than the new account ding and any possible lowering of your AAoA. If you don't currently have any open installment accounts (mortgage, student loan, additional auto loan, etc.), it might even help.

Installment util is calculated separately from revolving util, and it carries a much lower ding to scores than does revolving.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gottcha.....thanks haulin......own my home no other auto loans(or any loans) and very small CC balance.

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you do get a ding for the new account (and the inq, if there was one), I think it goes away after 6 months. I always thought that it was a year, but mine changed after 6 months. That might vary, though.

If your AAoA didn't drop down to a lesser year, and if the drop didn't put you in a new length-of-history category, there might not be a ding for that at all, although it will take that much longer for your AAoA to go up a year.

Congrats on the new wheels!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.