Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about electronic return receipt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about electronic return receipt

Over the last couple of months, I've been really trying to clean up my credit before getting married next spring, so I can start with a (mostly) fresh slate! :-)

I've sent out a number of GW, PFD, and DV letters over the last two months, all CMERRR. However, of the 9 letters I've sent, I've only gotten signatures back on 3 of them, the rest just have variations of the following message:

"habu987:

The following is in response to your May XX, 2015 request for delivery information on your Certified Mail™ item number XXXXXXXXXXX. The delivery record shows that this item was delivered on May XX, 2015 at 2:33 pm in Nowheresville, USA 11235. There is no delivery signature on file for this item.

Thank you for selecting the Postal Service for your mailing needs. If you require additional assistance, please contact your local Post Office or postal representative.

Sincerely, United States Postal Service"

Why am I paying for electronic return receipt if I'm not getting the signatures? Isn't the mailman supposed to require the signature?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Question about electronic return receipt

Many companies either have a lockbox/p.o. box or a mailing room where no-one will physically sign for the mail (as there may be too much to sign for in a reasonable amount of time), but the mail carrier can confirm that the piece was delivered. The return receipt just guarantees that the parcel was succesfully delivered where you wanted it to go.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about electronic return receipt

Oh, I understand *why* the businesses aren't signing for the mail--back in the day, my first real job involved mailroom duties for the finance department of a hospital chain, and there were hundreds of letters going and coming each day.

Rather, I'm miffed that USPS touts the return receipt service as a guaranteed way to get signature confirmation of the delivery, rather than just verifying it was delivered.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.