Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how interest charges on credit card

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Question about how interest charges on credit card

I thought if you paid your balance in full before the due date that you are not charged interest. Is that not how it works?

For instance, on my Capital One MC, I had a $322 balance due on Aug 5th with a statement date of Aug 8th. I made the full payment of $322 on Aug 2nd, three days before it was due and today when I logged on to check my account, the balance on my account was $4.06. I checked the transaction history and it is an interest charge. I thought they only charged interest if you don't PIF before the due date? I did have a balance of $215 post the previous month, is this charge for the balance that posted the previous month? Could someone explain to me how this all works because I am confused. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about how interest charges on credit card

It's called average daily balance method.

Here's a link that explains:

http://credit.about.com/od/creditcardbasics/qt/avgdailybalance.htm

Message 2 of 3
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about how interest charges on credit card

Thank you, I am reading it now. Smiley Happy

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.