Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about judgements

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Question about judgements

If an individual takes me to small claims court and wins, does that result in a judgement that appears on my credit report? Even if I pay it right away?

An individual is threatening to do so over a dispute, that I feel I am not responsible for, in fact I feel they should owe me money. I think a judge would side on my favor if they took it to small claims court, but I wouldn't want to bet my good credit report on it.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about judgements

It may or may not end up on your credit report. It will end up in your public records if a judgment is issued against you. I don't know how that works if a judgment is awarded and you pay instantly while still in court.

The Clerk of Courts (where this information is located) doesn't report to the CRA's.

However, there are many third party companies that research the public records and report to the CRA's. 

Message 2 of 6
EW800
Valued Contributor

I do not know the answer to this, however my personal opinion is that it would be so wrong for that to show up on your credit reports.  You (and everyone else) certainly has the right to allow the courts to settle a legal issue.  If it does not go your way, however you pay immediately, I do not think it would be right for that to hit your reports, therefore making you feel pain for years.  

I hope we hear from others with knowledge in this area that something like this would not hit credit reports.  

Best wishes!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The judgment becomes a public record.

The CRAs hire private seachers to review public record information and the CRAs add that info to their files to increase the supposed value to their custormers.

Some courts dont have records available on-line,and some searches dont check will all courts or dont go to all courhhouses and reivew their records, so whether or not a given judgment gets posted to your credit report varies.

Message 4 of 6
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Yes, judgements will show up. I went through it in 2005. A landlord (slum  lord in my opinion after this) pulled some shady stuff with me when I moved out. I was going through a lot of issues at the time and just settled in small claims court. I made a promise to pay $1300 for stuff I didn't do. Made an arranged date to pay. He and the arbitrator agreed. Before that date came, I found out from a tenant in the other unit of the house, that he'd been renting the basement illegally for cash and the utilities to it (electricity, oil heat/hot water,cable) were siphoned off mine without my knowledge. I never suspected it. Over the four years I lived there, that racked up to almost $10G's even with halving it. I decided not to pay in hopes he'd refile and I could counter sue in criminal court. He never did. I never paid. It was on my credit report until 2012. I didn't bother to list it on my bankruptcy because in the state it was filed, he had 5 years by state law to collect on the judgement. He'd have to refile. I kinda wish he did lol. I still have all my utility bills, leases,etc, and proof that he collected rent on the illegal 3rd apartment with only two meters. My lawyer at the time told me it would be a hell of a counter suit because it would exceed small claims and go to criminal.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 5 of 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Some info from a california small claims court. (probably about the same most places, i didnt see where you were from)

A Small Claims judgment is public record. Small Claims court does not report to any credit reporting agency; however, these agencies come to the court often and place the judgment on the losing party's credit record even after the judgment is paid.

If you are at court over a judgement and lose and pay it right away, you still lost a judgement itll just be listed as paid or satisfied.  (so itll still go to your report, just shown as paid)  Some states you can have paid judgements vacated and removed from your report.  (Im in Oregon, you cant here unless its written into the judgement to do so.  Im not sure about other states)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.