Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about medical bill / collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about medical bill / collections

No, he has never signed any of the medical forms. They will not find his signature anywhere - unless of course, she forged it.

I am surprised that they treated him that way as well. He asked them why they were just coming after him (only him) and not her.. their response was that he was the insurance carrier so he was responsible. Arggghh..

The collection agency is sending him a copy of what they have been trying to mail to him (at her address).. we are waiting on that letter and a call back from our attorney regarding the matter.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to my question/problem.
Message 11 of 16
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Hey tidbit,

Did you ever get this resolved? I offered a PFD by mail and just now over the phone and both were denied by the CA. I have sent them DV's 2 times (once to each of their addresses on my credit report), and both have been returned as undeliverable.

I'm wondering if I should send a third DV to the return address they had on the letter they sent me (it's different than the other 2 addresses I had), or dispute this with the CRA's at this point.

What did your attorney say? I just want to make sure they can't sue me.

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, a series of things happened. We actually had it resolved before we heard back from our attorney (which was 2-3 weeks, but we emailed her so that takes longer).

On the day that my husband got the call from the CA (this was on a Friday), he called the drs office - that is when he got the rude lady that said she didn't care who signed - it was his responsibility. She eventually said that she would change it and put it in the mothers name. (I doubted that she was telling the truth the whole time, but we had to wait and see).

About a week later, he recieved yet another call from the CA. He called the drs office back & got the answering machine. He left a looonnggg winded vm about how what they were doing was illegal, he hadn't signed for any bills, etc.  They called him back later that afternoon and profusely apologized and said they would put the bill in the mother's name.

This very same day, he received in the mail the bill from the CA. It said "please pay xxx or dispute this bill" etc.   I didn't know that he had spoken to the drs office that day, so I was in the process of typing up the dispute info and getting our "proof" ready to mail to them. He called to say that he had spoken to the drs office, but I sent out the dispute letter anyway..  I said in the letter that the name had been changed at the drs office and demanded that they take all traces of this off the CR.

A few more days went by and the CA called again. He called the drs office back and told them that he was still being harrassed and asked them to let the CA know that he was not responsible for this bill. They agreed and apparently contacted them because it is no longer on his CR.

This past Friday, the attorney called my husband. Told him that it was illegal for the drs office to do this and also told him that he was not responsible for any part of this bill since the time frame for her to submit them to him had lapsed. There wasn't much more that he needed her for so the call was short.

Maybe you should contact the dentist office directly and threaten them with an attorney. Dispute the charge with them instead of the CA. When its cleared up at the dentist office, then you can clear it up with the CA.

I got another "opinion" from a legal source re: this situation before it was resolved. They suggested that he request a copy of all documents from the drs office. Go (in person) and ask to see ANY paperwork that he signed authorizing responsibility for those treatments. If the ex wife forged his name - press charges. She also suggested that he get a credit monitoring service (which we did) and submit a "solen identity" statement and put it on file.

Hope this helps you!

Message 13 of 16
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Yes, that helps alot. Do you mind sending me a private message with the attorney's name that you talked to?

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since it is technically 'his' insurance account check monthly for new claims - I can monitor both my medical and dental online.  If there is a payment needed to a doc then he can pay it and bill her.  If she refuses to pay him her half he can sue in small claims - she won't be able to create another colection for him.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Since it is technically 'his' insurance account check monthly for new claims - I can monitor both my medical and dental online.  If there is a payment needed to a doc then he can pay it and bill her.  If she refuses to pay him her half he can sue in small claims - she won't be able to create another colection for him.

No, that may work for most people, but that isn't going to happen in our case. The ex is very manipulative and vindictive .. if we give her an inch, she will take a mile. She is going to learn to follow the court order or suffer the consequences.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.