Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about removing EQ fraud alert

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about removing EQ fraud alert

Hi there,

No need to go back almost six years. I've split your post off to start a new thread. All I changed was the title.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator.

I'm going to revive this thread as I'm also in need to know on who authorizes fraud alert and how I can get it removed IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about removing EQ fraud alert

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there,

No need to go back almost six years. I've splt your post off to start a new thread. All I changed was the title.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator.

I'm going to revive this thread as I'm also in need to know on who authorizes fraud alert and how I can get it removed IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks

If you did not ask for the FA then one of your creditors has reported possible fraud on one of your open accounts. These can be removed by calling the CRAs and asking that it be removed.

Message 2 of 5
jai8694
Valued Member

Hey OP,

I had a fraud alert on my EQ as well, it had been placed on years ago and it was the extended alert. The only way I was able to get it removed was by mailing a copy of my ID with my W2 and a bill that matched the address on the ID I sent. EQ refused to remove regardless of the calls I made or the 2 previous letters I had sent. The agent told me it was a security precaution which I get. After I mailed identification I waited 10 business days before contacting them to allow time for them to receive and scan into system. When I called the rep placed me on hold to check for any received documents and once verified she read a disclaimer to me and the advised it was gone. When I refreshed next day I didn't see it. I couldn't even get a secured card thru Cap 1 because according to 2 of their agents they do verification on secured accounts. She advised me to remove and not to reapply until I knew it was gone. And to make matters a little worse I lost 4 points in process. For someone in my position those 4 points matter a lot!

No score updates for 6 months is the plan while I garden
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure. I kept getting pre-approvals from Capital One and kept getting denied for having a consumer alert (fraud alert) placed on my credit report. I called and they said the I had a 9 year alert on there. They said it would take up to 48 hours to be removed. Not sure if it can be removed quicker than that or not.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Both initial and extended fraut alerts are only authorized to be placed at the request for the consumer or his or her authorized representative, and can always be removed by providing notice to the CRA.

A practice has develped wherein certain actions or assertions or a consumer are considered as being authorization for a fraud alert.

That is usually a good thing, since it promptly gets an alert posted.

Regardless, the FCRA clearly states that fraud alerts can always be removed upon request of the consumer.

The only possible delay by the CRA is that they can first ask that the consumer proivde proof of their identity.

Again, a good thing....

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.