Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the 14/45 day grace period

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about the 14/45 day grace period

So I know there is the older 14 day grace period where if you shop for rates within that window, it will be counted as 1 hard pull instead of many.

And on newer algorithms this has been increased to 45 days.

So here is my question. If I am about to start shopping for auto loan rates next week. Would it be worth it to slip in a Hard Credit Check for my Credit Card during this time?

Does the grace period know that this is a CC pull, while the others where Auto Loan pulls? And count them separately?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about the 14/45 day grace period

Bump

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about the 14/45 day grace period

@Anonymous wrote:

So I know there is the older 14 day grace period where if you shop for rates within that window, it will be counted as 1 hard pull instead of many.

And on newer algorithms this has been increased to 45 days.

So here is my question. If I am about to start shopping for auto loan rates next week. Would it be worth it to slip in a Hard Credit Check for my Credit Card during this time?

Does the grace period know that this is a CC pull, while the others where Auto Loan pulls? And count them separately?

All auto related inquiries within 14 days will count as one in Ficos eyes as long as they are properly coded. I have not heard of any 45 day window. You will not be able to app fr that CC and have it included in the auto loan deal as it would be coded as a CC pull. Sometimes the auto loans are not coded properly if that happens just contact the creditor and ask that it be recoded properly.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.