Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about true FICO scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about true FICO scores

In my search on these forums, Im reading that TransUnion doesnt offer real FICO scores; its stated several times in a general sense (i.e. no specific place is referenced to getting them)...

so then the myFico score for transunion is a FAKO?

And Experian - where specifically can we go to get an actual FICO score from them. I dont see the purpose of buying a FAKO.

I read Barrys post from early 09 about myfico not being able to offer Experian anymore... in it it says:

>>Q: After they are no longer available from myFICO, where will I be able to obtain my Experian FICO® score?
A: As a consequence of Experian’s decision, after February 13, 2009, there will be no authorized distributor of FICO® scores based on Experian data to U.S. consumers. This means that consumers will no longer have access to those FICO® scores.

Q: What can consumers do to get their Experian FICO® scores after they are no longer available from myFICO?
A: At this time we know of no plans by Experian to make FICO® scores available to consumers.<<

Has this changed? Because according to the FCRA - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre35.pdf

>>You have the right to ask for a credit score.

Credit scores are numerical summaries of your credit-worthiness based on information from credit bureaus. You may request a credit score
from consumer reporting agencies that create scores or distribute scores used in residential real

property loans, but you will have to pay for it. In some mortgage transactions, you will receive

credit score information for free from the mortgage lender.<<

If Experian is not going to offer the true FICO, and the FAKO scores they do offer are not legitimate/accurate scores, then doesnt this go against the FCRA?

Dont we have a right to know what our true score is?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about true FICO scores

It is possible to get a FICO score from a TransUnion website, but it's not that straightforward to find the correct link.  If you go to the logical www.transunion.com website, the score that you get is NOT a FICO score.  However, there is a related site - www.transunioncs.com (note the -cs) - from which you do get a TU FICO score.

With regard to the Experian score, these are not readily available to consumers.  If you are a member of specific credit union for state employees of Pennsylvania, then you can get your EX FICO score.  Certain Chase customers are able to get a rough idea of their EX score, but only get a range in which their score falls.  The only other way to get your FICO score is to apply for credit from a creditor that pulls EX and to request your score from them.

With regard to whether EX is in violation of the FCRA, the short answer is no.  The FCRA states that you can request a credit score, but does not specify a FICO score.  The FICO score is the most widely used credit scoring model, but the other scoring models that exist are arguably still legitimate measures of one's creditworthiness.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So then the TU score in myfico is not the true FICO score, in order to get this I have to go to transunioncs.com is this correct?

Message 3 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

The TU score puchased here is a valid FICO score.  The problem is there are 2 versions of TU FICO scores, TU98 and TU04.  TU98 is available here and at Transonics.  Lenders can use either one but IMHO they always use the same one.  THe good news in that things you do to improve your FICO scores will have a positive effect on both TU scores.  You cannot say with a FAKO score.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.