Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the Moderators

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question for the Moderators

Is it possible to raise FICO scores buy consolidating all revolving debt into one signature loan. I would appreciate your advice before going forward with this.If you need more account specifics I will be glad to post them .Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question for the Moderators

credit08 wrote:

Is it possible to raise FICO scores buy consolidating all revolving debt into one signature loan. I would appreciate your advice before going forward with this.If you need more account specifics I will be glad to post them .Thanks in advance.

Anyone can answer this, but, yes, your score could improve if you consolidate all your revolving debt into a loan (not into a LOC or HELOC). Points gained depend on your util. now.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, here is the numbers Fia mc 20k cl bal 6500, Chase visa 20k cl bal 3900, Discover 13k cl bal 4300.
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd predict a 10-20 point gain with a gradual increase over the next six months as the newness of that loan wears off (maybe another 20 points).
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news there, My EQ FICO is 755 now down from 793 after 3- 4 new accounts over last 18- 20 months soon 3 will be 2 yrs old and others will be  1 year old. Hopefully all this will bump my scores back up. In the OP the loan is a fixed installment no collateral if that makes a difference. Thanks so much for your help.

Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Let me just caution for anyone else reading this that this can be a great tactic to consolidate your debt to a possibly lower APR and help your scores by transferring your debt from revolving to installment, as revolving util is much more important than installment util.

However, you have to be very honest with yourself as to how this debt got up so high in the first place, and what will keep it from happening again. If you're not brutally clear about this, you're apt to wind up with the loan plus brand new balances on your CC's, doubling your problems.

One case where this makes a lot of sense is if the CC debt was incurred as a one-time, out of nowhere expense, like uninsured medical bills, natural disasters (think Hurricane Katrina), a tuition bill, or a nasty divorce settlement. But if that debt just crept up over time, and you can't really pin-point how it happened, I'd think long and hard before moving it to installment, leaving the CC's open and welcoming. That's called "enabling."

Once again, this is just a general message to anyone who might read this. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
However, you have to be very honest with yourself as to how this debt got up so high in the first place, and what will keep it from happening again. If you're not brutally clear about this, you're apt to wind up with the loan plus brand new balances on your CC's, doubling your problems.

As a former owner of 70k worth of CC debt, HTSU is 100% correct on this.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you and HTSU are saying and you both are correct the biggest majority of this debt results from being unemployed for a good while and uninsured and medical bills due to kidney stones ouch!!!!. I have talked with people that have have got themselves into deeper trouble buy doing the same thing as I am considering. I am back at work full time same line of work comparable pay as before I still have good credit and that is my main objective is to pay off the balances and preserve the credit I have worked so hard for years now to aquire. You both raise a very good point indeed thank you all for your input as it is very helpful to me.
Message 8 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Let me just caution for anyone else reading this that this can be a great tactic to consolidate your debt to a possibly lower APR and help your scores by transferring your debt from revolving to installment, as revolving util is much more important than installment util.

One case where this makes a lot of sense is if the CC debt was incurred as a one-time, out of nowhere expense, like uninsured medical bills, natural disasters (think Hurricane Katrina), a tuition bill, or a nasty divorce settlement. But if that debt just crept up over time, and you can't really pin-point how it happened, I'd think long and hard before moving it to installment, leaving the CC's open and welcoming. That's called "enabling."

Once again, this is just a general message to anyone who might read this. Smiley Wink

Absolutely this is true, consolidating debt must not reduce the sense of urgency about dealing with the underlying cause of that debt.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.