Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Credit Report Information

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on Credit Report Information

My EX FICO is 836, so I realize that what’s on my credit report isn’t hurting me too bad.  But I would like to clean it up to prevent problems in the future.  My EX report and score are the only recent ones I have, although I am going to try and clean up all 3, just staggered so they're not all at once.  So I have a few questions:

Should I add addresses that are not there?  Or only if they are recent (within the last how many years – although I know they don’t list years on the reports)?

Should I add employers?  EX doesn’t even have my current employer.  If so, how far back should I go?

I have a few accounts (some installment, some revolving) that state they have been transferred or sold.  There is no balance or late payment associated with these accounts.  Should these even be reporting or is it an issue? Or is this just a case of these will fall off within the appropriate time period for closed accounts?  I don’t believe they even say closed, just that they were sold and/or transferred.

There’s one account I don’t recognize, although it could very well be mine – I can’t keep track of all the accounts I’ve had open at one time or another over the years.  It says “closed, unknown or by consumer request.  There may be a balance due” (although that doesn’t appear to be reflected in the numbers on the report).  It does show payment history through 9/07 and I’m sure I didn’t just close it in the last couple months – I’d remember that.  No late payments on this account.  Should I be worried about this or ask for verification or something?

What about mortgage and student loan payments that have been paid off.  They state “the account has been paid satisfactorily”.  Is that sufficient?

I have a store credit card, that I think shows closed on other credit bureaus, but EX just says last payment 3/03, 0 balance, acct in good standing – should I just let this go until it either rolls off or closes due to inactivity?  I know closing a cc account reduced my utilization % and can hurt my score.  But if this is showing closed on other reports, I don’t think I can continue to use it to keep it active. 

I guess in general, a lot of these questions revolve around what if the status is incomplete, even though there are no late payments and no balance due.  To what extent and what detail should be included?  Or is what they have listed sufficient?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on Credit Report Information

Sorry, forgot to add:

I saw one copy of my report that listed incorrect SS#s.  One appeared to be a mis-key of my correct SSN.  The other was my husband's SSN.  But when I pull my copy through Suze Orman's FICO kit, it does not list these SSNs.  Do I need to purchase another copy (or use free annual copy) to dispute these, (do I need to send a copy of my report with the dispute?).  Or just knowing I saw them, can I dispute with everything else?  I know they have longer to reply with the free copy, and I don't really want to purchase an additional copy.

Also, one copy I saw (again, not with Suze's FICO kit - but maybe it was direct on the bureaus site when I ordered it?) showed the Geocode with addresses, and listed a type.  It had the incorrect type for some of my addresses.  Only thing I can figure is it was that type when someone else lived there (either before or after me).  How important is this information and is there any way to correct it?

Message 2 of 5
Cooneyca
Regular Contributor

Wow - 836!  Do you know the max FICO score is 850?

First, don't worry about your addresses or employers.  None of that information is factored in your scoring.  On the other hand, do keep an eye on what is being reported for address or employers that don't belong to you because it can alert you when someone is trying to get credit in your name or if one for the CRAs is possibly reporting someone else's info on your report.

I noticed a local PO Box and employer I never worked for show up on TransUnion about 2 years ago.  Turns out that someone had stolen an offer letter from my mail box and tried to apply using a different address.  I'm not certain if it was the new address (and PO box no less) or my horrendous credit which saved me - most like the latter Smiley Sad

Also, don't worry about accounts that are closed or inactive which are showing satisfactory payment.  These items can only help you by properly aging your credit history.  They will fall off on their own eventually - usually 10 years of inactivity.

I'm very envious of that score!  Good job - I'm getting there.  A little late in the game, but it should be doable.

Carol

Jan 07: tu 498, ex 501, eq 504
Oct 07: tu 716, ex 712, eq 723
Nov 07: tu 693, ex 664, eq 672_post app frenzy
Message 3 of 5
Cooneyca
Regular Contributor

If you know which CRA had the incorrect SS#, you should go try and have it corrected.  It doesn't sound like there is anything being mis reported right now, but the CRAs should have the correct data.  I'm not really versed in this, but your name associated with differenent SS#s may also lead to a split credit file.  At the top of forum threads there are stickied posts - one is credit scoring 101.  That post may have something about how to correct this type of error.

If not, does Suze's package have a help line feature?  It would be worth getting the answer to this and having it fixed ASAP

BeritL wrote:
Sorry, forgot to add:

I saw one copy of my report that listed incorrect SS#s.  One appeared to be a mis-key of my correct SSN.  The other was my husband's SSN.  But when I pull my copy through Suze Orman's FICO kit, it does not list these SSNs.  Do I need to purchase another copy (or use free annual copy) to dispute these, (do I need to send a copy of my report with the dispute?).  Or just knowing I saw them, can I dispute with everything else?  I know they have longer to reply with the free copy, and I don't really want to purchase an additional copy.

Also, one copy I saw (again, not with Suze's FICO kit - but maybe it was direct on the bureaus site when I ordered it?) showed the Geocode with addresses, and listed a type.  It had the incorrect type for some of my addresses.  Only thing I can figure is it was that type when someone else lived there (either before or after me).  How important is this information and is there any way to correct it?

Jan 07: tu 498, ex 501, eq 504
Oct 07: tu 716, ex 712, eq 723
Nov 07: tu 693, ex 664, eq 672_post app frenzy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions.  And good job on your improvement!  Keep up the good work!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.