cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Medical Collections

tag
valaub

Question on Medical Collections

1st day on the site and I've tried to read a lot before posting, but I wanted some feedback on something I found today in my FICO.

I have a report of an account in Collections. It is with a local hospital and has been moved to a 3rd party. It was for only $15 and neither me or my wife have any knowledge of what this could be for. Can you even get any service at a hospital for $15?

Anyway, it's showing as filed Sept 1, reported November 1 (both 2007, so this is brand new). It is affecting EQ and EXP by nearly 50 points.

Any tips on whether to go to the hospital, the CA, or straight to the CRA would be appreciated. Also, if I need to go to all 3, what order should I do that in?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Question on Medical Collections

welcome valaub,

A small amount like that might be for something small that insurance did not cover.  If there is NO chance this might be your debt, dispute it as 'not mine'.  If anything comes in the mail from a collection agency, DV it.

Do not ever speak with any CA by phone. 

If you think there is a chance the debt might in some way be yours... only call the OC (the hospital) and ask what it was for and if the hospital still owns it.  If they own it and you want to pay it, make sure you have a PFD letter responded to where they tell you they will delete. 

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Do a Google search for whychat hippa letter.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very glad someone besides me thinks using the HIPAA angle is a viable option.  I was shot down by the OC for a PFD in full... and told if I paid the entire bill including collection fess that it would be marked paid.....so I am pursing this angle... failing all else another 11 months and I'm past SOL and will PFD the CA at that point.
Message 4 of 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I'm all for using HIPAA laws when it's possible and needed, and a big fan of whychat. 

I usually don't get into it because typically the standard way works fine, and also because someone else will usually explain HIPAA!

But it is important that it be known on these boards as an option I agree, so don't worry Scarlet you are not in the minority with this good stuff.

Don't forget to donate if you use whychat's advice!  Save a kitty!

Message Edited by SmartCookie on 12-19-2007 03:28 PM
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.