cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on negative entries included in bankruptcy

tag
jene115

Question on negative entries included in bankruptcy

If you have entries that show late pays that are over 7-10 years old, can they be deleted, although they are listed on a bankrupcty?  The bankruptcy will be on my reports until 7/2011, but the accounts listed on there are over 8-10 years old.  It seems like a double whammy, late pays and a bankruptcy, although they are one and the same.

Can I request the old negative trade lines be deleted, or am I stuck?

Thanks.

Message Edited by jene115 on 01-03-2008 06:26 PM
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question on negative entries included in bankruptcy

No lates shpuld be reported over 7 years old.

If for some weird reason the accounts have a positive status- they would report for 10 years adter closed.

Do you have an example?
Message 2 of 8
jene115

Thanks for your response.

An example.

After my divorce in 2000, I ended up filing bankruptcy in 2001, after trying to keep up with everything on one income.  There are about 6 credit cards and Dell Computer that I ended up getting behind on payments that are a part of my bankruptcy, which will fall off my credit report on 7/2011.  These seven accounts are flagged as late payments on my credit report, as well as listed as a part of my bankruptcy.  I feel this is being punished twice, once for the bankruptcy and then again for the late pays, which are accounts listed in the bankruptcy.  I haven't been late once since filing and have brought my scores up, but those late pays are killing me.

The date of last activity on most of them is 7/2001 (so I guess I would have to wait until after July to dispute) and one lists last activity as December 2001.  So can I dispute these after the 7 years is up, even though a part of my bankrupty?

Message Edited by jene115 on 01-03-2008 07:16 PM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am no BK expert- you may also want to post in the BK forum.

if the account is properly reported as IIB there should be no lates after the BK is filed/approved or what ever it is called.
Message 4 of 8
wynona01
Regular Contributor

I basically had the same thing happen to me. I filed bankruptcy in 2004. My car was the biggest thing on my report. All of a sudden in December my car was reporting 120 days late which tore my score apart. I disputed my credit reports and it came back updated as IIB with a 0 balance. That brought my score back up by 75 pts. If i were you, i would dispute every account on your credit report that was included in bankrupty, two things should happen, one creditor will probably not respond to the dispute in that case the account will automatically fall off  your credit report, or two, the creditor will update your credit report as IIB with a 0 balance.
Message 5 of 8
octavia
Regular Contributor

I recently noticed (on PM123) that I had an account listed on my EX CR showing a balance of $113 but status was shown as closed.  This closed account was IIB Ch7 way back in 1996.

I disputed as PIF with EX because this $113 was included in my "balances" on my PM123 report.  EX updated the balance to $0 and date of removal of 12/2007.

Octavia.

Message Edited by octavia on 01-04-2008 09:08 AM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

exact same thing happened to me.  I filed ch. 7 in 2004.  Recently, after pulling all 3 of my reports, I had some deogatory and lates being reported from items included in my bankruptcy.  i printed out the pages in question, sent a letter to the credit agency reporting the items along with a couple pages of my bankruptcy showing those particular debts included and requested they adjust them.  They all did and now the derogs are no longer showing as Missed or Late Payments any longer.  Heck, some of them are showing due to drop off completely later this year, and into next year.  By 2010, my entire bankruptcy is showing to come off.

Send letters to the credit reporting agencies first with documents showing the debts were indeed included in your bankruptcy.  They should quickly remove those for you.

Good luck!
Message 7 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

IIB accounts remain for 7 years from the date reported as IIB.  BK does not start your CBRs with a clean credit slate.

You can GW to see if the creditor will delete the TL or remove some lates.  This is up to the creditor and they are not at all obligated to do so. 

You can dispute if something is not reporting accurately.

You can call the creditor to ask them to update the account.  This could be good or bad depending on how the particular TL is reporting at the moment, and how the creditor will update it.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.