Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: ChexSystems & the NY Attorney General

tag
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Question re: ChexSystems & the NY Attorney General

According to the New York Daily News, and many many others, New York's attorney general Eric Schneiderman has reached an agreement under which Capital One would stop using ChexSystems to screen out people who bounce checks, and instead, use it to screen out only serial fraudsters. I assume that means Capital One -- and maybe other banks, if they follow suit -- will start relaxing their checking approval standards for people whose checking problems stop at simple, rare overdrafts.   

My question for you guys is, is that correct? 

And second, to what extent does ChexSystems matter now? If you've bounced three checks in the last two years, is that currently grounds for denial of a checking account?

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Question re: ChexSystems & the NY Attorney General

I would suggest contacting banks that you're interested in, and ask them about Chex before applying.  Tell them your situation, and ask if they'll approve.

There are also a variety of "second chance" checking accounts out there.

Message 2 of 5
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I would suggest contacting banks that you're interested in, and ask them about Chex before applying.  Tell them your situation, and ask if they'll approve.

Thanks! My question, though, was more generic. I just have no idea what actually gets reported to Chexsystems, and can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. This is really more of a curiosity thing. 

Gardening since May 2015

Message 3 of 5
JennaD075
Contributor

@ACG23 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

Thanks! My question, though, was more generic. I just have no idea what actually gets reported to Chexsystems, and can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. This is really more of a curiosity thing. 

In my experience with Chexsystems and working previously at banks we only reported when an account was closed for NSF and a negative balance and or fraud. Not for having 3 checks go NSF on an open account that the balance is taken care of and doesn't sit in a negative status that requires the bank to close the account.

Message 4 of 5
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@JennaD075 wrote:

@ACG23 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

In my experience with Chexsystems and working previously at banks we only reported when an account was closed for NSF and a negative balance and or fraud. Not for having 3 checks go NSF on an open account that the balance is taken care of and doesn't sit in a negative status that requires the bank to close the account.

Thanks Jenna! Wow. Given your experience, you're going to be an invaluable resource for people here. Thanks so much. 

Gardening since May 2015

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.