Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding credit score impact

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding credit score impact

Hi, Would anyone have an idea of how many points would my credit score be impacted if my landlord should report me as being on time for 2 years? ( my account with him is in excellent standing)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Question regarding credit score impact

Typically landlords will only report if you are delinquent. In the many years that I had rented through both management companies and private owners, none have ever reported. Is your landlord offering to report? With that being said, it would definitely help you. Nobody will be able to tell you how many points your score would go up because we don't know what your report looks like. But, even knowing what is on your report really won't let anyone give you an accurate estimate of how many points you would gain. 

FICO scoring is based on algorithms that nobody here will ever see. We have just been able to change things on our report so we have guestimates on what may happen. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, Your good at this. Thank you for your response. That does help. I was thinking of asking the landlord to write a statement for the Credit Bureau. He is a very good landlord and has several properties. I would like to buy one but want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before going down that road.

Message 3 of 5
Regular Contributor

If you have a thick file and your credit scores are good enough for a loan already then it may not be worth the effort.

If you're serious about buying a property, it may be time to visit your local bank to discuss options. A good loan officer will walk you through the steps and advise on what ducks you need to get in which row as opposed to your guessing.

Wikipedia says...
Loan Officers, also referred to as "Mortgage Loan Originators", are people who work for banks and other financial institutions with the main objective to recommend individual and business loan applications for approval. Loan officers specialize in commercial, consumer and mortgage loans. [1]

Although they are employed by financial institutions, they can be seen as intermediaries between lending institutions and borrowers. They solicit loans, represent creditors to borrowers, and represent borrowers to creditors.

Good luck!
Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thank you, that does help and gives me a good starting ground. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.