cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding, criminal fines, bankruptcy, and a closed collections account.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding, criminal fines, bankruptcy, and a closed collections account.

Hello, please try not to judge me when you read this, I have a situation that I could use some answers on.

Without going into the details I incurred some fines and fees from a criminal case, those fees were sent to a collection agency.  A few years or so later I end up needing to file for Bankruptcy, so I did, and it was granted.  

About a year after the bankruptcy I disputed the account on my credit report as being included in my bankruptcy, to which either the collection agency agreed, or did not respond because to this day it shows on my credit report as "Closed" with the remarks "included in bankruptcy"

Now, a year and a half after the dispute, the collection agency is calling me to collect the debt.  

I feel as though I have a few reasons why they can't. 

Yes I know fines and fees from criminal cases aren't dischargable, however there seems to be some loophole if the debt was in collections (with an outside agency) at the time the bankruptcy, however there is also differing opinions and information on that.  But this is my first reason why I think they can't try and collect.

Second reason, I disputed the account over a year and a half ago, it shows as closed now, and that it was included in a bankruptcy.  

Am I correct on any of these reasons?  Can anyone provide any sort of website examples or legal code that I can refer to?  

I greatly appreciate it.

also on another note, the fines and fees were sent to collections while I was in a treatment facility that the court sentenced me to, they said they had to send it to collections because they couldn't find me.  I find that sort of funny.  Those fees and fines should of been severely reduced because I opted for treatment instead of probation, the treatment to which I paid for.  when i wrote the judge he said he couldn't reduce the fees because it was sent to collections, again I find that sort of funny.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question regarding, criminal fines, bankruptcy, and a closed collections account.

I would contact the attorney who handled your bk. they should be able to assist you. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.