Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about renting an apartment *Update* 2/17

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about renting an apartment *Update* 2/17

I hope this is the correct place to post this. My question is a bit detailed, so please bear with me. 

In two weeks I'm relocating from Ohio to Los Angeles and am trying to sublease an apartment in the Hollywood area. The lady whose lease I'd be taking over is leaving March 1st and her lease ends June 30th.

My credit score is not good (About 15 months ago it was at 435 and has since gone up to 578 as of today because I've been paying stuff off with PFD letters) but I also have no evictions or reposessions on my report. I actually have two apartment complexes listed on my report as creditors that I have an excellent history with.In any case, if my rental application were to be denied, my aunt (who has excellent credit) said she would co-sign for me. 

My issue is, this landlord seems to be kind of a jerk, and has been very short/rude with me on the phone (He doesn't like the fact that I'm wanting to initiate the renting process i.e. application from my current location even though my cousin in L.A. is scouting the apts for me and paying my application fees in cash; long story) 

Anyway, my concern is, if this guy denies my application due to my credit, is there any law or statute that says that I have a right to have a co-signer apply with me before I am finally denied? Also, what do you think are my chances of being approved for this sublease considering my history and the amount of time that's even left on the lease? 

Message Edited by MysteriousSkin on 02-17-2010 07:35 AM
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about renting an apartment

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope this is the correct place to post this. My question is a bit detailed, so please bear with me. 

In two weeks I'm relocating from Ohio to Los Angeles and am trying to sublease an apartment in the Hollywood area. The lady whose lease I'd be taking over is leaving March 1st and her lease ends June 30th.

My credit score is not good (About 15 months ago it was at 435 and has since gone up to 578 as of today because I've been paying stuff off with PFD letters) but I also have no evictions or reposessions on my report. I actually have two apartment complexes listed on my report as creditors that I have an excellent history with.In any case, if my rental application were to be denied, my aunt (who has excellent credit) said she would co-sign for me. 

My issue is, this landlord seems to be kind of a jerk, and has been very short/rude with me on the phone (He doesn't like the fact that I'm wanting to initiate the renting process i.e. application from my current location even though my cousin in L.A. is scouting the apts for me and paying my application fees in cash; long story) 

Anyway, my concern is, if this guy denies my application due to my credit, is there any law or statute that says that I have a right to have a co-signer apply with me before I am finally denied? Also, what do you think are my chances of being approved for this sublease considering my history and the amount of time that's even left on the lease? 

For this, you would have to find out what California law says on the subject. As a landlord in another state, I don't have to rent to anyone I don't want to, as long as I am not denying that person for any reason that is coverd by fair housing laws. I would be surprised if you have "a right" to live in someone else's property.

I don't know what to tell you about your chances. Are you wanting to move into one of the rent-controlled apartments in West Hollywood? Is that why the landlord could be cranky?

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope it's not rent controlled, and it's just in regular Hollywood.

What he told me was that he "didn't rent to people who were not in the state to fill out the application face to face so I can see who wants to live here, and I need to show you the apartment personally." 

I explained to him that I'm relocating 2300 miles and that I was unable to schedule a trip out there beforehand. I also didn't want to waste money in hotel rooms, so that's why I just wanted to see if I could fax in the rental application. My cousin is actually looking at the apartments for me, and I told him I would be completely willing to sign a form saying that I waived my right to physically inspect the apartment myself in lieu of my cousin doing it for me. 

He's just really hung up on the fact that I'm not there right now so he can see me face to face. But I mean, it's not like he's going to approve me and then I'm gonna move into his place without meeting him in person. lol Anyway, he finally agreed to let me do the app. and fax it in but when my cousin went to get the application, he went off on him saying "She wants to move in here but she doesn't even live here!" and my cousin said".....that's because she's relocating and she wants to have at least the prospect of getting a place before she gets here." 

But yeah, the pros of getting this place for 4 months would be worth me dealing with this guy for that short amount of time just to get acclimated which is why I want it despite his behavior.  I would just at least like the opportunity to present my co-signer to him in the event that I get denied on my own is all.

Sorry for the novel. LOL! Can you tell me, in your opinion, would you be willing to rent to me with my scores, taking into account my history, having a co-signer and being able to pay a higher deposit amount if needed? 

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess what I'm trying to ask are, how common is it for a landlord to deny a renter even if they have someone with excellent credit to co-sign for them?
Message 4 of 22
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope it's not rent controlled, and it's just in regular Hollywood.

What he told me was that he "didn't rent to people who were not in the state to fill out the application face to face so I can see who wants to live here, and I need to show you the apartment personally." 

I explained to him that I'm relocating 2300 miles and that I was unable to schedule a trip out there beforehand. I also didn't want to waste money in hotel rooms, so that's why I just wanted to see if I could fax in the rental application. My cousin is actually looking at the apartments for me, and I told him I would be completely willing to sign a form saying that I waived my right to physically inspect the apartment myself in lieu of my cousin doing it for me. 

He's just really hung up on the fact that I'm not there right now so he can see me face to face. But I mean, it's not like he's going to approve me and then I'm gonna move into his place without meeting him in person. lol Anyway, he finally agreed to let me do the app. and fax it in but when my cousin went to get the application, he went off on him saying "She wants to move in here but she doesn't even live here!" and my cousin said".....that's because she's relocating and she wants to have at least the prospect of getting a place before she gets here." 

But yeah, the pros of getting this place for 4 months would be worth me dealing with this guy for that short amount of time just to get acclimated which is why I want it despite his behavior.  I would just at least like the opportunity to present my co-signer to him in the event that I get denied on my own is all.

Sorry for the novel. LOL! Can you tell me, in your opinion, would you be willing to rent to me with my scores, taking into account my history, having a co-signer and being able to pay a higher deposit amount if needed? 

I can relate to how he feels. I had a tenant take an apartment sight unseen, and of course it turned into chaos. He moved out relatively soon after getting here...sued us for his deposit...called the news media about how terrible the place was...etc. We don't tolerate BS very well, so we made him take us to court...jury trial no less. (He sued us in small claims court. We bumped it to circuit court.) He thought we would fold in face of the media coverage. The jury found in our favor. Why? Because we had the new tenants (the ones who moved in after he broke his lease) testify that the apartment was fine. We had the city rental inspector testify for us. This guy just wanted a convenient place to dig into until he could find where he REALLY wanted to live. The fun part??? The apartment was located on Elm Street. The newspaper headline (statewide paper) read "Nightmare on Elm Street." Of course, the reporter hadn't even been in the unit and believed the guy hook, line, and sinker. As per usual, the newspaper never did report 6 months on down the line about how the jury found in our favor. That doesn't make good headlines.

So...maybe that story can help you understand your potential landlord's feelings. Who knows if he has had something like this happen. Also, he has other tenants to consider. Landlords can get some sense for a tenant when they show the property to you personally. You are a totally unknown quantity to him. You won't come in and disrupt his other tenants will you? He has no idea.

A couple of years ago, we rented a home sight unseen to a family. We put a clause in the lease that they acknowledged that they chose to rent it without first seeing it, and that they relied on the opinion of their realtor. That family is still there two years later. It has worked out wonderfully.

Have you called and talked personally with this landlord? If not, I would encourage you to do so. That could give him a chance to at least get a feel for you. I would encourage you to remember that it is his property. Don't try to convince him of your rights. That could absolutely make him deny you. Get some references from your current landlord and fax to him. Can you offer him any advance rent?

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to do this because it is for such a short period of time. You will be gone quickly if this doesn't work out. But, I live in a college town, and my tenants are quite portable. That is not necessarily the case in his building. He may be looking for a long term tenant and is wary that this is just a temporary stop over for you. Why would he do that for you? You have to be very nice and may have to give him an incentive to do this.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe this helps you see the situation from his perspective.

Message 5 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Credit is a big issue today when it comes to renting/leasing anything. Some require a certain score, some require there be no collections, paid or not, on your CR.   Most of the time as long as there are no evictions or you owing money to a past landlord for any reason on your CR, they are willing to work with you.  But, you need to be honest with them up front.  Don't wait for them to run your credit and find you have a low score.

I have a low score (578) and I have never had a problem.  I have always applied in person (I know you can't) and told them everything.  I am an honest person and make enough money but I have had problems in the past and a few now.  I tell them exactly what is on my CR so there will be no surprises and meet face to face.

Rent in the area you are going to is high.  I would be cautious if I was a landlord also. 

It might be a good idea to go through a rental agency to find a place.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of years ago, we rented a home sight unseen to a family. We put a clause in the lease that they acknowledged that they chose to rent it without first seeing it, and that they relied on the opinion of their realtor. That family is still there two years later. It has worked out wonderfully.

Have you called and talked personally with this landlord? If not, I would encourage you to do so. That could give him a chance to at least get a feel for you. I would encourage you to remember that it is his property. Don't try to convince him of your rights. That could absolutely make him deny you. Get some references from your current landlord and fax to him. Can you offer him any advance rent?

I definitely understand where you're coming from with that, which is why I would be completely willing to sign that kind of clause in the lease. 

As far as speaking to him, I have. The woman I want to sublease from explained to him my situation with moving before he spoke to me. When I called him and confirmed this, he immediately went into his whole speech about why he doesn't do that. When I tried to explain in detail my situation and why i was hoping he'd negotiate with me, he kept cutting me off and saying the same thing over and over. He's one of those people (it seems) who thinks they know what you will say before you finish so they don't need to hear it, and just talk over you. It took me three attempts to get him to let me finish what I was saying before he finally said, "Okay, just send your cousin to look at the apartment and I'll give him the rental application." then when my cousin showed up, he ot subjected to his "she wants to rent an apartment and she doesnt even live here" speech. 

As frustrating as he was, I made sure to keep my cool, speak calmly and slowly and address him by Mr. so and so, and I thanked him for letting me get the application early and told him how much I appreciated it. I figure if I just remain professional and non-emotional when speaking with him, maybe he'll consider that despite how rude he was being towards me.  

I guess I'll just have to wait until he gets my application and responds to decide where to go from there. It's been about 6 days since I spoke to him. Since I'm about to fax in the application this morning, would you suggest I call him and say "I'm faxing my app right now....." and then go into my credit stuff? I feel like that would be weird to do that because it might throw up red flags and he'll think, "Oh boy, she's already making excuses for her bad credit." you know what I mean? However, I did tell him in our phone conversation that I could well afford the place and that I did have a co-signer if it would be necessary. Should I just re-iterate that to him, rather than bring up my credit history?

Message 7 of 22
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'll just have to wait until he gets my application and responds to decide where to go from there. It's been about 6 days since I spoke to him. Since I'm about to fax in the application this morning, would you suggest I call him and say "I'm faxing my app right now....." and then go into my credit stuff? I feel like that would be weird to do that because it might throw up red flags and he'll think, "Oh boy, she's already making excuses for her bad credit." you know what I mean? However, I did tell him in our phone conversation that I could well afford the place and that I did have a co-signer if it would be necessary. Should I just re-iterate that to him, rather than bring up my credit history?

Wow...I don't know about calling him on a Sunday. I don't know his situation. This is business, and you may want to wait until Monday during business hours to talk with him. Even for those who work from home, they still like to have some time off. Remember, this is a place to live for you...it is work for him. He may contact you today, but I wouldn't call him on a Sunday. (OK...this may not bother everyone, but my husband is a real estate appraiser who works from home...and you wouldn't believe how many people feel free to call him at nine at night or seven in the morning, or on a holiday or weekend. If he doesn't contact you today, I'd wait until tomorrow to call him.)

It's tough to advise about how upfront to be with your credit difficulties when you know the landlord is already negative about your situation. I believe in this situation I would call him tomorrow morning during business hours (his time zone) and tell him that you appreciate the opportunity he gave you to fax your application to him for his consideration. Tell him you will gladly answer any questions he might have. Then, also remind him that you can provide a co-signer if necessary.

Follow your instincts to be professional and nice.

Keep us posted on how this all works out.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for reminding me that today is Sunday. LOL

But yeah, I'll just go with that and see whats up. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what he says. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 22
msmsm

I live in small gray sedan down by the river. I'm not a landlord or a renter so I can't provide good information.

I can say Lynette is offering excellent advice though. I'm impressed.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.